Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to iCloud for Windows 14.1 failure

Just rebuilt my desktop and get the following error:

I get "Upgrade to iCloud for Windows 14.1 failed.  Please reboot and try again.  (error 101)" 

64 bit Windows 10 Pro version 22H2 OS build 19045.2364

Appears in Programs and Features as:

iCloud Outlook - Size 3.86MB - Version 14.1.0.108

Trying repair gives same error message.

Tried reboot removing application and re-install. Same problem

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 9:24 AM

This worked for me on Windows 11. This has occured after the December 30 2022 iCloud auto update. Microsoft and Apple showing love to each other, I guess.

Start - Settings - Apps - Installed Apps - iCloud

Clicked "Repair" - had no effect

Clicked "Reset" - this wiped all cached data and went through all initialization (including entering credentials, approving with phone etc)

It says now iCloud Photos "initializing" when I right click the iCloud icon in the system tray. iCloud drive "updated 2 minutes ago" (I have just few MB in drive so this synced faster, Photos has 250GB and will take longer)

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2023 9:24 AM in response to Rolling_Stone

This worked for me on Windows 11. This has occured after the December 30 2022 iCloud auto update. Microsoft and Apple showing love to each other, I guess.

Start - Settings - Apps - Installed Apps - iCloud

Clicked "Repair" - had no effect

Clicked "Reset" - this wiped all cached data and went through all initialization (including entering credentials, approving with phone etc)

It says now iCloud Photos "initializing" when I right click the iCloud icon in the system tray. iCloud drive "updated 2 minutes ago" (I have just few MB in drive so this synced faster, Photos has 250GB and will take longer)

Dec 30, 2022 4:23 PM in response to Rolling_Stone

This seems to have worked for me:

Go to Settings > Apps & features > iCloud. Click on it and choose 'Advanced Options'.

Click on 'Reset' to delete the app's data, then try opening iCloud again. It should ask you to sign back in with your AppleID, and once logged in it should open normally. The only drawback is that you might need to set 'Always keep on this device' on your files again if you'd set that previously, then give it time to pull it all back down again.

Jan 30, 2023 4:10 PM in response to Rolling_Stone

Well, there is something wrong here.  My solution was to:

Re-install Windows 10Pro. Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045

I then tried to down load and install iCloud from the Microsoft store.  This failed complaining there was a missing C++ dll, which one I did not take note of.  I assumed other products were downloading it thats whay some installs worked. 

As I use Visual Studio I installed it which also installed a load of C++ dll’s.     

iCloud then installed OK.

What a pain.  The iCloud installer should check for the dll and install it if it were missing.

Well, I have a couple TBs of data on my computer, so I'd rather not reinstall. I just downloaded the latest C++ runtime and updated Visual Studio, then reset iCloud. Upon iCloud's first boot, everything seemed to be working fine except for the iCloud password manager extension for Chrome. I then tried closing and reopening iCloud, but it threw me the same error once again.

Jan 23, 2023 1:43 AM in response to CindyThorn

Well, there is something wrong here.  My solution was to:

Re-install Windows 10Pro. Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045

I then tried to down load and install iCloud from the Microsoft store.  This failed complaining there was a missing C++ dll, which one I did not take note of.  I assumed other products were downloading it thats whay some installs worked. 

As I use Visual Studio I installed it which also installed a load of C++ dll’s.     

iCloud then installed OK.

What a pain.  The iCloud installer should check for the dll and install it if it were missing.

Ian

Upgrade to iCloud for Windows 14.1 failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.