Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set custom ringtone for video calls (e.g., WhatsApp video calls) from a particular contact

I am trying to set all ringtones (including for audio and video calls, both on the phone itself and over WhatsApp) for one particular contact to silent ringtones. I have made a silent (well, not fully silent - it looks like it insists on adding a vibration) ringtone and managed to have it show up in my list of ringtones in the phone settings and to set it as a ringtone for the desired contact. This seems to take care of the audio calls (including via WhatsApp) but video calls still go through with the default ringtone (not at all silent). How do I fix this?

Also: is there a way to have a fully silent ringtone (no vibration either)?

I should point out that I am typing this question here after **many** wasted hours on both mine and my husband's parts searching the web and making multiple tries to nearly no avail (the best we could do is what I described above to be the current situation). Yes, I am afraid the level of frustration has gone through the roof, as this is such a simple request to have (on a non-smart phone, it literally takes a few seconds to do), I find it quite unbelievable that this option is not implemented on iphones as one of the most common and accessible settings one can have. Does anyone know how to make a request to iOs developers?

Thank you to anyone who can help!

Posted on May 9, 2020 1:25 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

May 12, 2020 6:42 AM in response to deggie

Thank you for your reply, deggie. After finally managing to make a test, it turns out that the problem is not present for FaceTime calls (well, if one accepts the vibration, which is still impossible to get rid of, but let's say that with the "Heartbeat" type, the vibration is subtle enough for many needs). I guess I will go on a new quest in the WhatsApp universe. As a point of information, I have already read that this is only a problem for WhatsApp on iphones, not for WhatsApp on Android devices.

This being said, I still think it is beyond ridiculous that there is no pure silent option one can associate to individual contacts on an iphone and that you have to go through an entire saga to find silent audiofiles, get them to be recognized as ringtones on your phone and THEN you have that choice - and even so, it comes with an obligatory vibration. With all of the other refined choices of use ergonomics that Apple takes so much pride in, this seriously feels like a bad joke.

How do I set custom ringtone for video calls (e.g., WhatsApp video calls) from a particular contact

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.