Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playing movies from flash drive on iPad Pro 2018

I have a 2018 11” iPad Pro running the latest iPadOS. I want to be able to store movies (mostly M4V & MP4 files ‘ripped’ from DVDs, together with movies downloaded from YouTube, DailyMotion etc) on a USB Flash drive or similar. I then want to be able to simply plug the device into my iPad and play the movies from the device without copying / moving them to the iPad.

Can I do this? - and - would something like the “SanDisk Ultra Dual Drive Go for USB Type-C devices” be a suitable external device to use?

Thanks in advance for your help!

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on May 10, 2020 1:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 2:21 AM

I use this drive because I use older iPads/iPad Pros with the lightning connector.

So, there are not many options for external portable storage devices that I can just keep with my iPad and just work without additional adapters and external power to drive them.

The SanDisk connect drive works, just barely.

The WiFi hotspot/transmitter sends out a signal just fast enough to stream HD video ( forget 4K and 5K video format, videos need to be 720 or 1080p ) between 4 and 5 Mbps.

So, using the drive to steam audio and video is fine, but two-way data transfer is excruciatingly slow and tedious.

So, using one of these drives to store and view photos/images or data from text/document apps and data from sketching drawing/painting apps or exporting just a JPEG image or a saved iOS Photos image, from one of these sketching/drawing/painting apps is also slow and most times an exercise in patience and/or futility.

If all you want to do with this drive is load it up with audio/video content and stream it to your iPad, the SanDisk connect drive will get that job done, but I do not recommend this drive for doing much else.

Also, you still need the use of a full featured computer to load the drive up with content as trying to load content from just the iPad to the drive is just going to take forever using its WiFi transmitter to transfer data back and forth.

Best of Luck to You!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2020 2:21 AM in response to AlecLondon

I use this drive because I use older iPads/iPad Pros with the lightning connector.

So, there are not many options for external portable storage devices that I can just keep with my iPad and just work without additional adapters and external power to drive them.

The SanDisk connect drive works, just barely.

The WiFi hotspot/transmitter sends out a signal just fast enough to stream HD video ( forget 4K and 5K video format, videos need to be 720 or 1080p ) between 4 and 5 Mbps.

So, using the drive to steam audio and video is fine, but two-way data transfer is excruciatingly slow and tedious.

So, using one of these drives to store and view photos/images or data from text/document apps and data from sketching drawing/painting apps or exporting just a JPEG image or a saved iOS Photos image, from one of these sketching/drawing/painting apps is also slow and most times an exercise in patience and/or futility.

If all you want to do with this drive is load it up with audio/video content and stream it to your iPad, the SanDisk connect drive will get that job done, but I do not recommend this drive for doing much else.

Also, you still need the use of a full featured computer to load the drive up with content as trying to load content from just the iPad to the drive is just going to take forever using its WiFi transmitter to transfer data back and forth.

Best of Luck to You!

May 10, 2020 1:38 AM in response to AlecLondon

Yes.

This maybe possible to do, but you might have to use the flash drive maker’s own proprietary app ( if one is available in the iOS App Store ) and use this to play the content from the drive as there is no generic iOS/iPadOS video player app to use.

I use a Sandisk Wireless, WiFi ( WiFi hotspot built-in ) stick and in order to play these DVDs and various videos streamed from the stick, I have to use SanDisk's proprietary iOS App to stream/play these videos from the stick.

Best of Luck to You!

Playing movies from flash drive on iPad Pro 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.