Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I play movies on my external hard drive I bought through apple onto my IPad Pro?

How do I play movies on my external hard drive I bought through apple onto my IPad Pro?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 8:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 8:27 AM

Make sure your iPad is on iPadOS 13.

Keep in mind that iOS 13 and iPadOS supports these external drive formats

1. macOS Extended journaled
  2. FAT32
  3. exFAT
  4. APFS
  • Please note that NTFS is currently not supported.

Make sure you provide power to your external drive

For most iPads, you need to supply power to your external drive. That means your external drive must be self-powered OR you need to use a powered hub or Apple’s Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter. The iPad itself is not capable of delivering enough power to keep the external drive running and maintain its functionality. The external drive simply draws too much power

I suggest you purchase a USB-C hub that allows for power delivery. Your iPad Pro may be able to handle small thumb drives, but an external hard drive probably draws too much power

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2020 8:27 AM in response to loyal fa

Make sure your iPad is on iPadOS 13.

Keep in mind that iOS 13 and iPadOS supports these external drive formats

1. macOS Extended journaled
  2. FAT32
  3. exFAT
  4. APFS
  • Please note that NTFS is currently not supported.

Make sure you provide power to your external drive

For most iPads, you need to supply power to your external drive. That means your external drive must be self-powered OR you need to use a powered hub or Apple’s Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter. The iPad itself is not capable of delivering enough power to keep the external drive running and maintain its functionality. The external drive simply draws too much power

I suggest you purchase a USB-C hub that allows for power delivery. Your iPad Pro may be able to handle small thumb drives, but an external hard drive probably draws too much power

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.