Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing Songs in Apple Music Not Working

Hi there,

I have a 90-day free trial AppleMusic subscription and have "Sync Library" ON on all my devices.

When I edit a self-owned song or album in Music, e.g. delete comments for a song or multiple songs or all songs of a complete album, Music will not save the changes made after clicking on OK, despite the small green tick appearing to the right of the letterbox after deleting the comment.

Music will also NOT save changes made like the "of track" number after clicking on OK.

Is this a bug in Music or am I doing something wrong here?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 10, 2020 3:30 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

May 10, 2020 9:01 AM in response to turingtest2

The problem was a matter of multiple tags in my mp3 files. After proceeding with File > Convert > Convert ID3 Tags... > None I was able to edit single mp3 songs and/or albums. The changes were saved successfully.

I did not do the second step File > Convert > Convert ID3 Tags... > v2.3 though. Is that absolutely necessary or can I leave the song file's tags at "none"? Don't understand the meaning of ID3 tags in Music (iTunes) and how they work.

Isn't there a way to convert all ID3 tags of my entire library of mp3 files, instead of going through each single file/album?

Thanks for your help!

May 11, 2020 8:45 AM in response to turingtest2

I have read & write permissons on all files and folders in Music> iTunes >iTunes Music.

Despite that the 17 MP3 files (songs) of the concerned album I would like an artwork to all have id3 tag v2.3 (see attachement), it won't allow me to add a jpeg image (.jpg) of 221KB as an artwork to it. By the way: Music/iTunes can't find artwork for this album. That's why I want to add it manually.

Most of my songs in my library are MP3 files with tags. Others, like purchased songs, are AAC Music Files from the Music/iTunes Store.

May 10, 2020 10:17 AM in response to airwalker

With the tag as none you're relying on the iTunes/Music database to store and transfer any metadata. The last step copies the information known to iTunes/Music back to the file so that it would be there if you removed and then reimported the track, or copied it to another library. A typical issue with .wav tracks, which don't carry a tag, is that when users copy these to a new computer, or have a disaster that means rebuilding their library by reimporting local files, is that all you get back is the file name as a track title, with all other information gone. You're putting yourself in the same position.

Note the steps in the user tip can be applied to an arbitrary selection, you don't have to work one track or album at a time.

tt2

May 10, 2020 3:04 PM in response to turingtest2

Super helpful thank you. :-)

Furthermore, I noticed that some missing artwork of a song or an album can not be added when editing the song or an album. I get the artwork (saved jpeg file on my Mac) from the pictures folder, insert it, click on OK and when I go back to the song or the album, the inserted artwork is not there. It's just no being saved, even if I did the id tag procedure you recommended.

Any solution for this issue?

May 11, 2020 9:32 AM in response to airwalker

One possibility I can think of is that the .jpg image you're trying to add might be a mislabelled .png image or some other format. Often this error can be ignored and the file is just treated as a valid image but Music/iTunes can be picky. Can you test the ability to add artwork to this particular album with some other image that you know works elsewhere?

tt2

May 11, 2020 9:59 AM in response to turingtest2

I just did. Unfortunatley, other images I added to other albums in iTunes back at the time when I converted my CDs to MP3, do not work either for that specific album. I am also having difficulties adding or changing album artwork for other albums in the Music app.

Some albums have the artwork displayed when I click on the album, but sometimes individual songs of that particular album do not display the album artwork. That's very strange, too. All songs should display the album artwork, if the album does right?

I have a folder in my Pictures folder called CD Covers. In there I have 658 album covers, mostly .jpg images. Most of them I added to my albums manually back at the time where "Get Album Artwork" was not yet available in iTunes, but also later. when importing MP3 songs from other sources.

There seems to be some major issues with the way Music (former iTunes) is handling the music collection. I hope Apple will be able to resolve these issues, so we all can have a clean library of music.

Editing Songs in Apple Music Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.