Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad Face-ID regularly asks for password, is this normal behaviour because of security.

At regular intervals, once in 1 to 2 days, my iPad Pro with Face-ID activated and working asks: you need to enter your passcode to use Face-ID. I then enter my password and everything works again.

With my iPhone X this is the same, only less often.

is this a Security feature?

why hasn’t this been described?

can the interval time be influenced?

cheers,

jim

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on May 10, 2020 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 10:31 AM

An iPad with configured TouchID, or FaceID, will still prompt for a device Passcode in certain circumstances.

Whilst not an exhaustive list of conditions, you will be prompted for a Passcode:

• after a system restart
  • after a defined period of inactivity
  • after concurrent failure to successfully unlock using TouchID/FaceID
  • if the Sleep/Wake button is rapidly pressed five times (this intentionality disables biometric authentication)

It should be noted that reversion to requiring a Passcode is a deliberate feature of the iOS/iPadOS security architecture. The TouchID/FaceID interface is intended to provide a quick and convenient method to authenticate when the device is being used regularly by the principal user of the device; biometric authentication is not a replacement for the primary device authenticator - this being the device Passcode.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2020 10:31 AM in response to Jizkid

An iPad with configured TouchID, or FaceID, will still prompt for a device Passcode in certain circumstances.

Whilst not an exhaustive list of conditions, you will be prompted for a Passcode:

• after a system restart
  • after a defined period of inactivity
  • after concurrent failure to successfully unlock using TouchID/FaceID
  • if the Sleep/Wake button is rapidly pressed five times (this intentionality disables biometric authentication)

It should be noted that reversion to requiring a Passcode is a deliberate feature of the iOS/iPadOS security architecture. The TouchID/FaceID interface is intended to provide a quick and convenient method to authenticate when the device is being used regularly by the principal user of the device; biometric authentication is not a replacement for the primary device authenticator - this being the device Passcode.

May 10, 2020 11:25 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for the answer, these are the answers you can also find on the Apple site, so ik knew them.

All four do not fit my situation. I am heavily using my iPad, way more than 20 times a day. Everything works fine and quick.

Still once in 1 to 2 days, I get the question seemingly spontaneously that I should enter my password.

I do understand that this can well be an additional security approach and that it is deliberate. I also think it to be a good approach. But..... why has this nowhere been described? That’s the real question.

Ipad Face-ID regularly asks for password, is this normal behaviour because of security.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.