Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant reinstall Sierra because disk utility file system verify or repair failed.

My computer started running badly and eventually the finder froze completely. I couldnt switch off so unplugged. When I tried to reboot, the computer switched off half way through the process. I started up in recovery mode, ran disk first aid which failed. I then erased and downloaded macos Sierra, but the installation failed with the message macos could not be installed on the computer. File system verify or repair failed. The message says quit and restart, which I have tried without success. I was wondering what else I might try.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.12

Posted on May 10, 2020 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 5:57 PM

Try erasing the whole physical drive as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled). You may need to click on "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. See these Apple instructions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

Similar questions

4 replies

May 11, 2020 1:18 AM in response to HWTech

Thank you for that suggestion. I think when I erased before I only erased the volume, so I have now erased the disk, and started to download the OS again. It will be while before I know if this has worked, as it is taking 9 hours to download the OS, what with a slow broadband connection which is currently being heavily used due to the virus lockdown!

Cant reinstall Sierra because disk utility file system verify or repair failed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.