Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy files from broken Macbook Pro

I had two old devices: iMac 2009 & Macbook Pro 2009

Hardware issues:

1. iMac: startup failure
  2. Macbook Pro: battery

My plans:

Take both devices for recycling programme on third parties.

Before this, planning to ask to paid a third party service provider to copy my files from both devices to an external and to wipe off hard drives on both devices before sending to recycling programme.

Questions:

1. Do I need to proceeding these steps actually?
  2. What is your best suggestion on solving this worry - avoid other people to seen files via local hard drive on both devices?

Thank you very much.

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 10, 2020 8:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 9:07 PM

What do those have to do with removing the drives? No power is required to do that. Just a Torx screwdriver to remove the bottom plates and the drives from their mounts.

If this is not something you feel comfortable doing and/or do not have the proper tools, then I suggest pursuing your initial plan.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2020 9:07 PM in response to unite2020

What do those have to do with removing the drives? No power is required to do that. Just a Torx screwdriver to remove the bottom plates and the drives from their mounts.

If this is not something you feel comfortable doing and/or do not have the proper tools, then I suggest pursuing your initial plan.

May 11, 2020 10:30 AM in response to unite2020

Hard for me to tell but I don't think that is the drive. Is that a photo in the iMac or the MBP? I've replaced drives in a couple of 2009 MBPs, and the drive is clearly visible. There is only one point of connection to the motherboard, and that is from the rear of the drive. The drive is a 2.5" notebook HDD.

I have an older 2011 iMac. In that machine is a full-sized 3.5" HDD that should be in the upper right quadrant looking from the front with the front glass removed.

It may be helpful to visit the OWC website because you will find some video tutorials on how to tear down various Mac models. The pictures may be helpful in identifying the drives and their removal. If OWC doesn't have ones for your models, then do a Google search. They are out there.

Copy files from broken Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.