Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService problem when trying to save a file

Hi. I just updated from High Sierra to Catalina OS. But, in my main account, when I try to save any file from Safari or Chrome, even opening Finder, my browser freezes. I inspect with Activity Monitor and this is what i found (its consuming like 90% of cpu at the moment)

com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService not responding

This is happening just in my main account (for now), in a second admin account is not happening. I do not want just to switch to a second account, I've a lot of things in my main one. So please, I need help to solve this thing...

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 10, 2020 10:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 4:27 PM

Hello iluiscastillo,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're having trouble saving a file, your Mac becoming unresponsive, and a high amount of CPU usage from "com.apple.appkit.xpc.openandsavepanelservice." I'd be happy to share information that may help.

First, close all open applications on your Mac.

Then, if you haven't yet had a chance, try restarting your Mac. Then test the issue again: Log out, sleep, restart, or shut down your Mac.

You mentioned that this is not occurring in a second user account. Next, try starting up in safe mode to see if the same issue occurs while in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac.

Take care.

Similar questions

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2020 4:27 PM in response to iluiscastillo

Hello iluiscastillo,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're having trouble saving a file, your Mac becoming unresponsive, and a high amount of CPU usage from "com.apple.appkit.xpc.openandsavepanelservice." I'd be happy to share information that may help.

First, close all open applications on your Mac.

Then, if you haven't yet had a chance, try restarting your Mac. Then test the issue again: Log out, sleep, restart, or shut down your Mac.

You mentioned that this is not occurring in a second user account. Next, try starting up in safe mode to see if the same issue occurs while in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac.

Take care.

Oct 29, 2020 7:23 PM in response to iluiscastillo

I have the same issue. It is predominantly when I use Chrome: When saving a file Chrome will lock up and I have to kill the openAndSavePanelService process in activity Monitor to be able to gain control back of the GUI.

I note that if I try to change / close tabs or carry out other actions whilst chrome is locked up when I kill the openAndSavePanelService process, these actions are carried out.

In addition to this I also note that within Activity Monitor there are many other openAndSavePanelService processes still active for other programs. It very much looks like a memory leak issue. I believe these processes should be cleared down once the save action has been completed.

I also believe that as a result of this, control is not being passed back to the app, which in the case of Chrome locks the app up. This response is different in other apps - depending on how they interact with the openAndSavePanelService dialog. For example in ArduinoPro IDE the application functions as normal but no further save actions are carried out. I just lost a days work as a result of this.

So this appears to be a common issue and directly related to the openAndSavePanelService / dialog. There is plenty of internet evidence that many others are experiencing this same issue. Clearly there is a problem.

Restarting / closing / opening apps / Resetting PRAM / using safe mode / creating alternate accounts / etc / whatever, do not solve this issue.

We need a permanent solution

C'mon apple pull your finger out and fix this.

Sep 20, 2020 10:27 AM in response to iluiscastillo

Following up my previous post on this issue, I tried the various solutions from this thread and other threads on this topic. Amongst the ideas...

• reset PRAM
  • reset NVRAM
  • restart computer
  • create a new admin user account

The only one that worked for me was the latter. It seemed that creating a new admin account, though a pain to do because it means manually resetting all system and app preferences and transferring files over, allowed me to once again use the computer normally.

Of course it doesn't explain what happened and why. I suppose I will go head and delete the other admin account now since it is unusable.

I am by no means a MacOS expert, but it would seem to me that the bug/corruption is happening within Finder, perhaps its PLIST file.

Jul 13, 2020 12:17 PM in response to iluiscastillo

I have this issue too after upgrading to 10.15.5. It make me fool, the first save as run fine, then i got

com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService not responding

and I have to reboot again.

Sometime (I repeat sometimes) I see two openAndSavePanelService processes the first related to the first operation and the second not responding. I tried to kill the first one but the second was still not responding....

Anyone has some suggestion to avoid it?

Sep 8, 2020 9:17 AM in response to ljsmom70

Does anyone from Apple monitor these discussions? It seems that this issue has been posted about for years with users experiencing this problem intermittently with various OS versions. Surely there is a reason for it happening, something that can actually be fixed. Force quitting and frequent restarts shouldn’t be required. Mac’s are supposed to be reliable, and that is why we lay a premium for them.

My iMac has been experiencing this issue for months despite all the latest updates and a fresh install of the OS.

Sep 13, 2020 7:29 PM in response to gryphster

All tabs of my Chrome browser repeatedly lock up when I save a pdf. I was killing chrome and restarting losing my state. However, I found this process with the Chrome name. Force quitting it frees up Chrome. What's the cause? How do I fix it short of killing the process, killing Chrome, or rebooting?

com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService (Google Chrome) (17977)

Sep 23, 2020 10:00 AM in response to gryphster

Just following up. I wonder if others have found creating/using a different user account resolved the issue, i.e. the problem didn't occur in the new user account. In my case that seemed to work, until a new, similar problem developed.

So despite all the advice and possible solutions, I decided to wipe the system and start fresh. Surely things will be smooth sailing from now on, one would hope :)

Oct 12, 2020 9:06 AM in response to gryphster

Its really frustrating - I have had the same problem for a year almost. It makes working with the Mac so painful. Closing everything down, force quitting Chrome/Finder constantly and rebooting/shutting down is NOT a solution. I wonder how things get raised to Apple to get a proper solution not a very poor bandaid.

For me I have tried Safe mode, rebooting, reset PRAM etc - nothing seems to work - it may clear for a few hours or days. The contention seems to me to be specifically between Chrome, Catalina and Finder. I don't seem to get the same problem if I use Safari but I have used Chrome for years as I am a developer and it has much better development tools.

Oct 20, 2020 7:26 AM in response to jeremy_v

Hi Jeremy,

this problem increased dramatically since I upgraded to 10.15.7.! In every application I use from Apple or other softwares (Mail, MS Word/Excel, Indesign and the Adobe CS collection and others) this little extension causes a complete breakdown of my iMac (Retina 5K, 27 ", 2019, 3,7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4). I cannot believe that shutting down my computer and restart is the only answer to this failure. I have to do that to often a day!

Thank you for your help.

Lars

Nov 17, 2020 7:58 AM in response to iluiscastillo

Problem found: Synology-Finder-Extensions / Synology software packages

As I wrote above I had the same problem. I also run a Synology disk station. After I uninstalled/turned off all Synology extensions that are integrated to the Finder (Uploads, sharing, aso) the problem is mainly fixed. Sometime it apears but I can fix it with the Activity Monitor. May be this helps every one who have the same problems. It may come to this with other external devices, too! Best, Lars

com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService problem when trying to save a file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.