Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backed to iCloud but hard disk still full

I've backed up and transferred 'Documents' including all my photos to iCloud. I can no longer find the 'Documents' folder in finder unless I go into iCloud but my hard disk is still full. Any ideas why?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on May 11, 2020 3:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 8:48 AM

iCloud Drive Desktop and Documents maintains a local copy on your Mac. If you want to reduce the space used on your Mac, turn on the Optimize Mac Storage option in System Preferences. See the following from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud. Turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2020 8:48 AM in response to Hogwash1

iCloud Drive Desktop and Documents maintains a local copy on your Mac. If you want to reduce the space used on your Mac, turn on the Optimize Mac Storage option in System Preferences. See the following from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud. Turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again.

Backed to iCloud but hard disk still full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.