Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Viewing DVD files

I have purchased an external DVD drive and was able to view the contents of an old home video perfectly. I have also saved the file using Disc Utility but now can't view it. It's saved as a .dmg file. Can anyone assist?

Many thanks

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 11, 2020 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 8:22 AM

You would need to import the file using a video converter app so it is a format the computer can recognize as a video - if it is homemade (converter apps will not convert content with DRM and copyright protection = commercial video).

10 replies

May 14, 2020 6:54 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I saved them using Disc Utility and that is the format they appeared as. When I view them on my Mac directly from the DVD player they're fine, if I go to File>Open DVD Media I see them as Video_TS and then a list of files as follows:

VIDEO_TS. BUP

VIDEO_TS.IFO

VIDEO_TS.VOB

VTS_01_0.BUP

VTS_01_0.IFO

VTS_01_1.VOB

VTS_01_2.VOB

None of them will open.

Thanks

May 14, 2020 10:51 AM in response to scamm27

Did you copy the video DVD to a disk image with Disk Utility? That's what I assume you did. So, double click on the dmg file to mount it. The run DVD Player and it should open and play the video DVD.

To run DVD Player do a spotlight search for DVD Player and click on it in the Spotlight window.

If you want to extract the video portion of the DVD follow babowa's instructions.

Viewing DVD files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.