Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 Plus Battery Drain - Why?

I have an iPhone 7 plus that has been working fine ever since I've had it. I don't give it a lot of use and normally the battery lasts up to two full days on a charge. Now, all of a sudden it won't even last a day. I've checked the obvious stuff - flashlight not turned on, Personal Hotspot not on, etc. Is there any way to see what is causing this thing to drain the battery in less than 12 hours, with very little or no use? On my Mac OS devices there is the activity monitor so see what is going on - anything similar on the iPhone?

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on May 11, 2020 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 1:35 PM

Hello,

These are the standard steps for shot battery life:

1) Go to Setting > Battery > BATTERY USAGE BY APP to see the apps that are consuming your battery.

2) Check “Battery Health” in the link: 

iPhone Battery and Performance

3) If all else fails, consider a battery replacement:

iPhone Battery & Power Repair

Good luck.

4 replies

May 19, 2020 3:30 PM in response to W6JHB

OK - this has been resolved, finally. And it was a surprising thing at that. Sorry for the following verbose post, but I thought it might interest others facing the same issue.

While all this dying battery issue was happening, my wife purchased a brand new iPhone. So, not one to pass up an offer, I took her old one, an iPhone Xs Max. She never had any battery issues with it. I had just done a backup of my iPhone 7, so I restored the backup of it to my "new" phone. Guess what? the battery issue followed me, so it was NOT a problem with the battery itself being old and sour. The Mail settings on her new phone were identical to mine, but my phone was depleting the battery in less than 10 hours, with Mail being the top dog on the list. After doing some head-scratching, I thought about the CONTENT of the mail, and bingo - the culprit was UPS. Yes, that's right good old United Parcel Service. We had been ordering a ton of things from Amazon recently and I'd gotten a slew of email from them with "follow my package" information imbedded. I deleted every one of them from my Inbox and then from the Trash folder and all of a sudden Mr. Mail was NOT the top dog - it was down to about three percent of the battery drain. But it still ran down a lot quicker than it had for my wife.

Now - the offender at the top of the list was Siri. I have no idea what she was doing, but when I disabled her completely, my battery use dropped dramatically. The phone now easily lasts two days on a full charge. Since I seldom, if ever used Siri in the past, I was not at all sorry to have divorced her!

And that's the story - the battery itself is in fine shape - it was two applications that had been causing the grief.

Case close.

iPhone 7 Plus Battery Drain - Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.