Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie - 10.1.10

I accidentally imported all my Photos and videos into iMovie and now have no space left to import a new project - ie converting MOVs into MP4sso they can play on my Apple TV

1. How can I delete all data from iMovie?
  2. If I delete everything - will that affect photo albums and videos in Photos programme?

Posted on May 11, 2020 3:45 PM

14 replies

May 12, 2020 10:26 AM in response to Booberoi

Hi, Booberoi,

To review some basics, creating a new project and using the already imported media will not use up much additional space. The project does not make a duplicate copy of the imported media, but rather contains thumbnails that consume virtually no space, and which refer to the original media that you imported. The original media is located in the Original Media folder that in turn is located in the iMovie library. The only way that creating a new project would consume significant new space is if you imported new media into iMovie for the purpose of creating the project. So, if you intend to drag in new .mov files, then that would take up additional space on your drive. But if the .mov files had already been imported, then using them in a new project will not consume significant additional space. However, if you want to delete the media that you have imported into iMovie, then you can use one of the methods below.

Deleting an iMovie Event that contains media will delete all the media in it. Select the Event and do a File/Delete Event. You must delete the event itself, not just the media contained in the event in order to free up space.

Another way is to select a clip and then do a File/Reveal in Finder. A folder will pop up entitled Original Media. It is a Finder folder. All clips deleted from the Original Media folder will be deleted from the iMovie library.

Be aware that deleting media from the iMovie library by either method above will delete it from all projects that may be using that media.

An easier way might be to movie your iMovie Library to an external drive with sufficient space to contain your media and new media added for new projects. First do a File/Consolidate Media to make sure that all the media goes with the library and you have no broken links. The external drive must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Be aware that if you reformat a drive that will delete all media that is stored on it, so first back up any data that you want to keep.

Deleting media from your iMovie library will not affect your photo albums and videos that are stored in the Photos program. Photos has its own library.

-- Rich

May 12, 2020 12:14 PM in response to Rich839

Thank you for your detailed reply.

I deleted all events but I find I have many many albums in Libraries - Photos. I double clicked on album and it opens up Photo.

I tried to import a single movie clip and says I don't have enough space - must be because of all the albums imported under Photos - I don't need all those albums there - so how can I get rid of them without affecting albums in Photos?

May 12, 2020 12:28 PM in response to Booberoi

Can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing and explain what steps you are taking to get there?

If you are looking at the Photos albums by clicking on the Photos item in the iMovie sidebar, those albums are not in the iMovie app. The albums are in the Photos app and iMovie is just referring to them. When you drag a photo into iMovie, then it is in the iMovie app.

Nothing you do in iMovie is going to affect the media that is stored in your Photos library. As I explained, the Photos app has its own library. Nothing can be deleted from the Photos app except through the Photos library.

-- Rich

May 12, 2020 1:12 PM in response to Booberoi

First, check your disk space. Click on Apple Logo>About this Mac>Storage and see how much disk space you have. If you don't have enough space then you would need to remove some unwanted files from your computer's internal drive.

If you do in fact have enough disk space, then redownload iMovie and that should cure the problem. Follow this procedure:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

iMovie - 10.1.10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.