Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dolby throughput

I'm connecting my Apple TV 4K to my sound bar via the input HDMI port on the sounder, and then the ARC port on the sounder to the ARC port on my TV. When I do this, I get Dolby Atmos, but only get 1080p Dolby Vision instead of 4K. If I connect the Apple TV directly to the TV and connect via an optical cable, I get full 4K Dolby Vision, but not Dolby Atmos.

Supposedly this sound bar (a Sony) supports both Dolby Vision and Atmos, but there's this issue with the 4K Dolby Vision. Any ideas why this is happening and is there a better way to go about this? Thanks.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 11, 2020 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 8:39 PM

To get Dolby Atmos audio, you will need to connect the Apple TV to the Dolby Atmos capable soundbar or AV receiver directly.

To get 4K (with optional HDR/Dolby Vision) content, you need an HDMI 2.0+HDCP 2.2 connection for the video; including this capability for all the equipment in between.

For the HDMI cables, this means 18 Gbps bandwidth or better.

For the soundbar or AV receiver, this means HDMI 2.0+HDCP 2.2 ports for In and Out.

Sony equipment is notorious for having to configure HDMI ports as Enhanced mode for such use.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2020 8:39 PM in response to James Coyle1

To get Dolby Atmos audio, you will need to connect the Apple TV to the Dolby Atmos capable soundbar or AV receiver directly.

To get 4K (with optional HDR/Dolby Vision) content, you need an HDMI 2.0+HDCP 2.2 connection for the video; including this capability for all the equipment in between.

For the HDMI cables, this means 18 Gbps bandwidth or better.

For the soundbar or AV receiver, this means HDMI 2.0+HDCP 2.2 ports for In and Out.

Sony equipment is notorious for having to configure HDMI ports as Enhanced mode for such use.

May 11, 2020 9:38 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I thought perhaps the HDMI cables were the issue. I had one I was using on my old TV but I bought another and the box it came in says “Ultra HD video and audio in one connection” and are indeed 18Gbps. They look virtually identical but perhaps the older one doesn’t have that capability, although it is thicker. I don’t see any specs on it. I’ll investigate it further. Thank you.

May 11, 2020 9:53 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I just Double checked and indeed those HDMI cables are 18 GBPS. And the port on the soundbar was configured as enhanced. Just to reiterate I went directly from the Apple TVs HDMI port to the non-ARC port on the sound bar I then went from the sound bars ARC port to the ARC port on the TV. Up until now that way I can get Dolby Atmos sound but no better than 1080 P Dolby Vision. So, I think I have a configured as you suggested. Very stumped by this. Thanks again for your help.

Dolby throughput

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.