Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Crashes and Shuts Down when attempting to disconnect my eGPU

Hello everybody, I've been having an issue and I really can't seem to figure out the cause.

Whenever I disconnect my eGPU, the system will lock up after a couple seconds, the screen will eventually go black, fans will spin to maximum for a second and then the machine boots up again.

This issue popped out of the blue, I've never had these problems before. It's not an issue with the eGPU, it works just fine on my 2016 MBP.

System: MacBook Pro 2018 13", running 10.14.6 version 18G4032

eGPU: Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box

A crash log is linked below, since the it exceeds the character limit for this site.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11fZ-L1aRRc2InJ4a-922hiPE_1_gYzux/view?usp=sharing

Any advice helps! Im seriously stumped here

-Geotrax

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 11, 2020 8:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2020 11:20 AM

It's an issue with 18G4032, most likely a security update or something broke compatibility.

FIX: I know a lot of people won't like this but I just bit the bullet and updated to Catalina (10.15.4, 19E287).

eGPU works as expected again.

Hope it helps!

-Geotrax

4 replies

May 12, 2020 9:04 AM in response to Geotrax

Does your eGPU include its own kernel extension drivers that you have to install?

If so, maybe they do not like you pulling the plug on them.

Otherwise, if not custom drivers, then I would say the Apple graphics drivers are not happy having the GPU pulled out from under them, especially if they had active apps using those GPUs.

NOTE: I have never worked with eGPU boxes, so I'm mostly basing my questions on general issues that have cropped with various operating systems I've worked on over the years, when the device for a driver is suddenly removed.

MacBook Pro Crashes and Shuts Down when attempting to disconnect my eGPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.