Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook keeps crashing and restarting, only works when plugged in

Hey there,

my macbook pro from 2017, running on monterey 12.5 keeps crashing and restarting randomly when it is not plugged in. If its not plugged in it will not restart properly at all, but when its plugged in it works completely fine. I have checked the battery and it says it is in normal condition. Using the diagnostic tools i have found no hardware errors and also have completely reinstalled ios now in order to cancel out any software malfunctions.

Has anyone had a similar issue before? I think its probably a hardware issue, given the fact that i reinstalled the software.

I keep getting a crash report, that I cannot really read myself (attached to the post.)

Very thankful for your help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 15, 2022 2:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 7:59 AM

Macbook_Issues99 wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I finally decided to go to an Apple store and get an expert opinion from the genius bar and it turns out my macbook has a very minor water damage that is causing the issue. So there is nothing I can do unless I want to get the hardware fixed for + 1000 €.

Liquid and electronics never seem to mix well...

If you have AppleCare+ it will cover a large portion of accidental damage.

hhttps://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

Having Apple Care+ also allows you to continue your coverage over time...

Extend your AppleCare+ coverage - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2022 7:59 AM in response to Macbook_Issues99

Macbook_Issues99 wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I finally decided to go to an Apple store and get an expert opinion from the genius bar and it turns out my macbook has a very minor water damage that is causing the issue. So there is nothing I can do unless I want to get the hardware fixed for + 1000 €.

Liquid and electronics never seem to mix well...

If you have AppleCare+ it will cover a large portion of accidental damage.

hhttps://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

Having Apple Care+ also allows you to continue your coverage over time...

Extend your AppleCare+ coverage - Apple Support

Aug 15, 2022 1:50 PM in response to Macbook_Issues99

Macbook_Issues99 wrote:

Hey there,

my macbook pro from 2017, running on monterey 12.5 keeps crashing and restarting randomly when it is not plugged in. If its not plugged in it will not restart properly at all, but when its plugged in it works completely fine. I have checked the battery and it says it is in normal condition.

Using the diagnostic tools i have found no hardware errors and also have completely reinstalled ios now in order to cancel out any software malfunctions.

For power management on an Intel Mac—

Try resetting the SMC Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support see the details.

Aug 15, 2022 5:17 PM in response to Macbook_Issues99

You appear to have a MBPro 13" (2017) model with Touchbar.

It appears like the issue may be related to the SSD since the Kernel Panic references "nvme" which is the SSD.

nvme: "AppleS3XController. Loss of MMIO space.

However, because it is referencing "MMIO space" which is Memory Mapped I/O, this may indicate an issue with some third party software or perhaps a possible memory issue. To look for possible software issues run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. The last time I assisted someone with this type of Kernel Panic I believe it was due to some third party software. The most likely culprits are anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, or third party security software...none of which are needed on a Mac and usually causes more problems than they solve.

Make sure to have a good backup.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data.

Aug 17, 2022 4:51 PM in response to Macbook_Issues99

Sorry for the bad news.

FYI, check with an Apple Authorized Service Provider which actually performs repairs in their own shop as the repair may be a bit less expensive depending on the size of the SSD on the Logic Board (may be closer to $600 US). If more than one part has liquid damage, then the repair cost may not be too different. An Apple Store performs a mail-in repair which is typically much more expensive because of the tiered pricing. Some AASPs also only utilize the Apple mail-in repair depots as well.

Macbook keeps crashing and restarting, only works when plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.