Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 16", "M1 Pro" 32GB crashes semi-permanently (reboots)

Just received a brand new MBP (16", M1 Pro CPU, 32GB RAM).

Things were okay for a week, but now it started to crash almost randomly, with different kernel crash exceptions every time. Looks like the CPU or memory state gets corrupted.

When it gets "in a bad bood" it begins crashing very easily: GeekBench 5 run (CPU and/or GPU tests) make it crash after a couple of seconds. Also some websites cause the macbook to crash instantly, esp. on chrome or firefox.

Again, this is only when computer is in the "bad mood" which happens to be couple of times during the day.

I tried to:

• run diagnostics (Cmd+D during power on) -- the diagnostics ALWAYS succeeds with "No issues found" (I run diags just after the crashes, a couple of times every day).
  • work on battery on plug power -- does not matter, it may crash on both;

It looks like memory corruption (bad RAM or CPU chip) to me, but diagnostics says "No issues found" so I am lost a bit. I am thinking about returning but then I didn't find the exact incantation to make it crash so when I bring it to service I can show the sequence -- it depends on the macbook to be in a "bad mood".

One theory is maybe temperatures are impacting stability, but this happens always at room temperatures, so far.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 5:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 10:23 AM

saulius81 wrote:

• Just received a brand new MBP (16", M1 Pro CPU, 32GB RAM).

Things were okay for a week, but now it started to crash almost randomly, with different kernel crash exceptions every time. Looks like the CPU or memory state gets corrupted.

When it gets "in a bad bood" it begins crashing very easily: GeekBench 5 run (CPU and/or GPU tests) make it crash after a couple of seconds. Also some websites cause the macbook to crash instantly, esp. on chrome or firefox.

Again, this is only when computer is in the "bad mood" which happens to be couple of times during the day.

I tried to:
run diagnostics (Cmd+D during power on) -- the diagnostics ALWAYS succeeds with "No issues found" (I run diags just after the crashes, a couple of times every day).

It looks like memory corruption (bad RAM or CPU chip) to me, but diagnostics says "No issues found" so I am lost a bit. I am thinking about returning but then I didn't find the exact incantation to make it crash so when I bring it to service I can show the sequence -- it depends on the macbook to be in a "bad mood".

One theory is maybe temperatures are impacting stability, but this happens always at room temperatures, so far.

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions.

Learn what to do if your computer restarts or shuts down unexpectedly, or you get a message that your computer restarted or shut down because of a problem.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN

all known to cause issues on the macOS.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2022 10:23 AM in response to saulius81

saulius81 wrote:

• Just received a brand new MBP (16", M1 Pro CPU, 32GB RAM).

I tried to:
run diagnostics (Cmd+D during power on) -- the diagnostics ALWAYS succeeds with "No issues found" (I run diags just after the crashes, a couple of times every day).

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions.

Learn what to do if your computer restarts or shuts down unexpectedly, or you get a message that your computer restarted or shut down because of a problem.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN

all known to cause issues on the macOS.

Mar 2, 2022 7:11 AM in response to leroydouglas

Your guess was correct about the issue with hardware.

I have submitted MacBook for the servicing and they have diagnosed the mainboard to have a defect.

The issue is that there is a shortage of components for this hardware, so.. Not good, will have to wait some time (weeks?) for the replacement to show up from Apple distribution centers as apparently they have problems with logistics or just plain shortage.

MacBook Pro 16", "M1 Pro" 32GB crashes semi-permanently (reboots)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.