Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) regular crashes

I have a Macbook Pro for work, 2017 2.3ghz core i5 model.

Every one to two days, in the course of my normal workday it suddenly begins to show signs of lag, rapidly becoming unuseable over 1 -2 min. The processor is maxed to the point where it will completely drain a fully charged battery WHILE PLUGGED IN in about 10 minutes. There are no processes showing high CPU usage in task manager, total listed usage equals about 15%. Yes, I am in 'all processes' view, yes they are sorted from highest CPU usage to lowest.

All in all, it will cost me about an hour of my workday to resume normal operation as it takes quite some time for the battery to charge enough to allow me to power on. Once I do power the mac on, it will usually crash right after login for the same reason, meaning starting the process over. Once I successfully log in for a second time, processor use returns to normal despite all the same apps running and I can proceed with my workday.

I have contacted support and all they could suggest was making sure i use the lastest OS version. Can anyone help?

• My typical CPU load is about 16% for user processes
  • 90% of my work is on cloud platforms, so I work out of Chrome with 2 or 3 additional apps running, nothing intensive.
  • Plugged directly to mains, not through an adapter
  • 2 peripherals, a screen with it's own power source and a set of headphones
  • I can't identify any action that leads to the symptoms, except that it usually happens around the same time each day. I tried removing all folders from the Spotlight indexing as this was identified by a few users as an intensive process, no change.

This is seriously affecting my workday, please help!

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 10, 2019 1:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2019 8:10 AM

T0T3M wrote:

• I have a Macbook Pro for work, 2017 2.3ghz core i5 model.

Every one to two days, in the course of my normal workday it suddenly begins to show signs of lag, rapidly becoming unuseable over 1 -2 min.

Apple has determined that a limited number of 128GB and 256GB solid-state drives (SSD) used in 13-inch MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar) units have an issue that may result in data loss and failure of the drive. 13-inch MacBook Pro units with affected drives were sold between June 2017 and June 2018.

See if you qualify here:

https://www.apple.com/support/13-inch-macbook-pro-solid-state-drive-service-program/

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2019 8:10 AM in response to T0T3M

T0T3M wrote:

• I have a Macbook Pro for work, 2017 2.3ghz core i5 model.

Every one to two days, in the course of my normal workday it suddenly begins to show signs of lag, rapidly becoming unuseable over 1 -2 min.

Apple has determined that a limited number of 128GB and 256GB solid-state drives (SSD) used in 13-inch MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar) units have an issue that may result in data loss and failure of the drive. 13-inch MacBook Pro units with affected drives were sold between June 2017 and June 2018.

See if you qualify here:

https://www.apple.com/support/13-inch-macbook-pro-solid-state-drive-service-program/

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) regular crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.