Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac boots to black screen, but sound and keyboard lights work as they should, same in safe mode

hi, i just now tried to update my macbook pro that i got in 2018 from high sierra, dont remember which exact number thing but i think it was 10.12 something, to catalina. i installed it but then wanted to wait with restarting, but the computer crashed (though this did not count towards the required restarting since it still said it was the same number version thing) and when i was gonna restart it properly i noticed the catalina installation window had been reset, so i installed again without really thinking. then i let it restart immediately, but it didnt boot back up again. it tried, but got stuck on a black screen. i assumed it was still updating and waited an hour or so before looking up if something was wrong. people suggested i restart the computer in safe mode so i did, it played both the startup sounds but the screen stayed black just like before. ive tried restarting it over and over and it has the same results every time: the keyboard lights up (i can also alter the brightness of it with their respective keys), the apple logo on the back does not, and if i press for example enter then it makes the error/cant perform action sound (i can also alter the volume too). i have tried shining a flashlight through the logo and while i do see brightness through it, i only see brighter black, the same as when the computer is turned off. as i said ive restarted it in safe mode, and with cmd+alt+p+r, it just goes to the black screen. if i hold shift while its starting the keyboard never even lights up (and if i have my phone plugged into the usb it never starts recieving power from the mac, which it does when shift wasnt held down).

i cant find any threads with this combination of problems, could anyone help? i suspect theres some incompatability with the graphics card/driver, it also doesnt send any input to other monitors if i plug those in. thanks in advance!

Posted on May 12, 2020 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2020 2:40 PM

UPDATE: solved it by draining the macbook of all its battery (by charging phones and such with its usb ports), the ”out of battery” symbol lighted up on the screen when i pressed the power button, i plugged it back in and now its working. still a bummer this happened at all, and i wish i understood what exactly it was that happened :p

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2020 2:40 PM in response to leopold621

UPDATE: solved it by draining the macbook of all its battery (by charging phones and such with its usb ports), the ”out of battery” symbol lighted up on the screen when i pressed the power button, i plugged it back in and now its working. still a bummer this happened at all, and i wish i understood what exactly it was that happened :p

May 12, 2020 12:08 PM in response to leopold621

Here's what one user found that helped:

I had the same issue with my 2008 iMac and Apple support walked me through the fix yesterday...

1. Shut the computer down by holding the power button for 10 seconds

2. Restart the computer and press shift at the same time until you see the progress bar start moving

3. Once you reach the point where your screen goes dark and you see the cursor, type the first letter of the username for your computer, then hit Enter, then type your password, then hit Enter.

4. After a moment, you should see the spinning beach ball

5. Your screen should then move on to something along the lines of "Completing OSX Installation" (I can't remember the exact wording). Let it finish. After that it should go to your normal desktop and the issue should be fixed. (If your screen goes pitch black during this process, hit the space bar. I thought it wasn't working, but the screen was just sleeping).

Apparently it's an issue with an automatic update that never quite got past the login screen.

If your Mac starts up to a blank screen - Apple Support

It's possible the display panel has failed or there is a power distribution problem given that the USB ports do not seem to be working either.

May 12, 2020 1:53 PM in response to Kappy

thank you for responding. unfortunately that contradicts what i wrote, ”if i hold shift while its starting the keyboard never even lights up (and if i have my phone plugged into the usb it never starts recieving power from the mac, which it does when shift wasnt held down)”. i never see the progress bar, and i never see the cursor. the screen doesnt even light up at all, it stays the same as when its turned off the whole time.

May 12, 2020 2:03 PM in response to Kappy

i should clarify also: the usb ports work fine, they can charge other devices (which is all i can test in the state this thing is in). if you mean the part where i say external monitors dont recognize an input, those are plugged into the hdmi ports, though i doubt the issue is that the ports arent getting power as much as it is the computer isnt, or is failing to, send a signal to any monitors including the built in one if anything.

mac boots to black screen, but sound and keyboard lights work as they should, same in safe mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.