Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen with green cursor (booting problems)

I had shutdown my mac using my keyboard after the screen god hanged. While I tried to reboot the laptop, it got stuck in a booting loop. I used the recovery mode to reinstall the macOS but since the installation has completed the screen appears black with a green cursor and after sometime it automatically shuts down.

Can someone please help me out in this

P:S I had recently updated the OS just before sometimes it got hanged

#macbookpro

#catalina

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 11:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 11:37 AM

Thank you Alex for taking out your time and helping me out, Finally I solved it by erasing my drive and then reinstalled catalina in recovery mode.

The only external device attached was my earphone. I am using MacBook pro(16th inch, 2019) , catalina version 10.15.6

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 2, 2020 1:09 AM in response to kaushik39

Hello Kaushik,

Was the display active and displaying progress when you were reinstalling the macOS using the Recovery mode? If you never saw the macOS installation progress and the display remained blank then you may have a hardware issue with the display, GPU Cable or the GPU itself. If you saw the display show progress however installation never completed then it could be a failing SSD.

Axel F.

Aug 2, 2020 9:39 AM in response to Axel Foley

yes, the display was active and I can see the progress bar and when it was just about 3 minutes to complete it shuts down, restarts with a black screen with a still green cursor(*which i cant move), I have also checked if there is any hardware issue but no issue was found. Before my laptop hanged I had switched it on the whole night, (this might have caused a problem).

Black screen with green cursor (booting problems)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.