Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not receiving notification or sound on locked screen

Since upgrading to iOS 13.4.1, my iPhone 8 Plus no longer makes a sound or displays a notification on my locked screen when I receive a text message. In order to get the text message to display and to make a sound I have to turn off my bluetooth. I have checked to make sure that the Do Not Disturb is not turned on. I have checked to make sure that I have selected a sound. Very frustrating.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on May 12, 2020 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2020 6:49 PM

I don't recall you saying you have Apple Watch until just now. If you are wearing your watch, it is dominant and your phone will NOT alert you when you have Apple Watch on your wrist. This is by design. The reason you are getting notification if you turn Bluetooth off is because you are then breaking the connection from your phone to watch in doing so.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2020 6:49 PM in response to mwlapa

I don't recall you saying you have Apple Watch until just now. If you are wearing your watch, it is dominant and your phone will NOT alert you when you have Apple Watch on your wrist. This is by design. The reason you are getting notification if you turn Bluetooth off is because you are then breaking the connection from your phone to watch in doing so.

May 12, 2020 1:08 PM in response to katina160

Hello,

See this:

1. Is the side mute button on?  Does any red show?How about the volume buttons?  Is the volume very low?
  2. Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics.  Check the Ringer and Alerts slider.  Try changing the sound pattern for the type of alert.
  3. Go to Settings > Notifications.  Is the app listed? How about "Show Previews"?
  4. Do other sounds work?  What about phone calls?

Good luck.

Jul 9, 2020 3:36 AM in response to katina160

This happened to me. Visual notifications were working, but no ringing on IPAD (The iphone rang though!). Checked every setting that had been suggested, which made no difference.

Then I saw an enigmatic reference to issues related to Wifi glitches somehow not picking up IPAD settings.

So I disconnected Wifi on the IPAD (Wifi OFF) and then instantly reconnected to the same Wifi. Would you believe it - it worked.- FaceTime now notifying calls with sound.

I cannot explain how a wifi connection relates to sound in FaceTime, but it worked for me

Not receiving notification or sound on locked screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.