Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Play/playhead issue with Logic Pro X 10.5

This morning I was working on a project on Logic before the new update. I had no idea about the new update today. For absolutely no reason Logic decided to quit my current session and update on its own to 10.5. When I opened Logic back up, I had to give it permission and it told me "welcome to Logic Pro X" even though I've already used it? Anyways, everything seemed fine with my projects however about 3 minutes in I noticed I wasn't able to play anything. The playhead was stuck. The weird thing is that I'm able to press the record button and it plays fine. I opened a new project and tried to investigate this further. I found out that the playhead actually works fine when there's no notes, but as soon as there are MIDI notes it immediately stops playing. I don't know how to fix this.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 12, 2020 5:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2020 7:23 AM

Hi,

talked to apple support (Germany). They say its a software problem with 10.5 and the only thing we can do now is a bug report on this site.... -.-

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

The Logic Team need to receive a lot bug reports now! ;) So that they realize how important that bugfix is.

Similar questions

175 replies

May 25, 2020 11:57 AM in response to Atomicflash

I don't think we're doing anything "wrong". I think it's a bug that affects some users, and it'll be up to the Apple / LPX engineers to figure out why and issue a fix. File a bug report here to let them know you're experiencing this problem also. The more they're aware it's a problem, the more attention the problem will get.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

May 26, 2020 7:03 AM in response to andancar

Same bug. We're in the middle of a 30 song project. Very frustrating!

WORKAROUND (hopefully temporary):

• Create a new software track
  • Enable record
  • Now 'R' becomes your 'play' (song plays fine and we can continue working)

Example: We tracked drums over the weekend and one of the sessions started doing this bug so... I just put the new software track above the several live audio drum tracks we were recording (summed those so it was easy to toggle record off/on) and kept the software track in perpetual record enable mode. Since I wasn't inputting any midi - it just shows up as blank. It's a huge pain in the $%^ but for now I can work on the tracks and record and not have to revert to previous Logic version.

Hope this helps! Keep sending Apple those bug reports!

Jun 5, 2020 4:50 AM in response to andancar

SOLVED! I fixed mine! PLAYHEAD PROBLEM

I’m not sure which of these corrected it but I did each of these in these in this order and it’s been working flawlessly ever since.

1. Deleted any unused tracks or hidden tracks. I had four or five tracks I was hanging onto still. But if you have other saved previous projects you can always retrieve them. Also I have been using the same project file through this entire project so I figured get rid of anything that really serves any purpose within the tracks.
  2. I then did a project cleanup Under project management.
  3. Under project management I did a consolidation.
  4. I then went to the browser view selected media, then went to edit and selected unused, then deleted any unused files that are highlighted.
  5. And then did a “save as” the project and renamed the file.
  6. deleted any existing project alternatives except for the one that I’m working on obviously.
  7. saved the project

and....walla!

I believe this is caused because of a lot of just existing data that is somewhere residing in a lot of places. I highly recommend on exporting your latest project alternative as a new project and every mile stone.

especially if you have tracks that are muted or and hidden and contain automation!

I hope this helps! It’s running actually better than it ever has.

for me this eliminated any of the weird glitchy bugs that I was getting since 10.5. Just clean it up get any additional data out of there and it’ll run really well in 10.5 I think it’s just existing data from the previous version.

Jun 5, 2020 4:54 AM in response to andancar

SOLVED! I fixed mine!

I’m not sure which of these corrected it but I did each of these in these in this order and it’s been working flawlessly ever since.

1. Deleted any unused tracks or hidden tracks. I had four or five tracks I was hanging onto still. But if you have other saved previous projects you can always retrieve them. Also I have been using the same project file through this entire project so I figured get rid of anything that really serves any purpose within the tracks.
  2. I then did a project cleanup Under project management.
  3. Under project management I did a consolidation.
  4. I then went to the browser view selected media, then went to edit and selected unused, then deleted any unused files that are highlighted.
  5. And then did a “save as” the project and renamed the file.
  6. deleted any existing project alternatives except for the one that I’m working on obviously.
  7. saved the project

and....walla!

I believe this is caused because of a lot of just existing data that is somewhere residing in a lot of places. I highly recommend on exporting your latest project alternative as a new project and every mile stone.

especially if you have tracks that are muted or and hidden and contain automation!

I hope this helps! It’s running actually better than it ever has.

for me this eliminated any of the weird glitchy bugs that I was getting since 10.5. Just clean it up get any additional data out of there and it’ll run really well in 10.5 I think it’s just existing data from the previous version.

Jun 7, 2020 2:42 PM in response to manfred39

Agreed. My Logic wish-list:

1. Increase overall stability, especially temporarily unloading and reloading plugins that System Overload when CPU usage is low (and listing the plugin(s) that caused a System Overload).
  2. Fix Phase-Locked Group Editing with multiple Take Folders. Currently editing a multi-mic'd drum kit can result in the Take Folders group being broken upon a Scissor/slice.
  3. Fix zoom-in and zoom-out via mouse wheel functions. Currently zooming out or in with the mouse when can result in the screen zooming in to a random, often blank, part of a project.
  4. Easier, multi-track audio bus creation. Currently if you want 4 tracks to each be routed to 4 new audio tracks, you need to set up each input and output on each track separately. An option should exist to match up new bus outputs with new bus inputs on newly-created audio tracks.
  5. Option to "lock" a track to either/both the left and right sides of the Inspector pane.
  6. Option to change the Command-Click Tool. Pressing the T key lets you change the Left Click Tool, but there is no option to set a key to change the Command-Click Tool.
  7. Total plugin count in a session.
  8. Total working time on a session.
  9. Option to disable specific plugins in a specific session.
  10. Fix Freeze Tracks option so they genuinely unload the CPU of all plugins and processing. I can confirm bouncing a track and deleting the original vs Freeze Track results in different CPU utilization (higher using Freeze Track).

Fix and improve before adding features. Pro Apps should always prioritize stability over "new."

May 20, 2020 1:37 PM in response to andancar

This issue was driving me crazy until today. My player head kept creating a small selection and would only play that part. With the help of another buddy we figured a solution.

You gotta hold down on the play button and unselect “play from marquee selection”

Only keep selected Play from selected region and or Play from Last located position.

May 13, 2020 11:25 PM in response to andancar

Same issue (iMac, MojaveOS) -- was working for past month on a project (everything working fine) and re-opened after being away for past 48 hrs; Logic had auto-updated to 10.5 overnight, and now the playhead freezes/jumps back in small increments when I try to play (click play button or hit spacebar). So frustrating! I've restarted several times, and after a minute or so the problem repeats every time ... HELP!! Desperate at this point ... :/

May 19, 2020 6:01 AM in response to andancar

Same exact issue word for word. Mojave, imac 5k late 2014, 16gb ram, fusion drive, fireface 400

Apple, we are hoping you are reading this as many of us might actually need this software to work to make a living :)

I actually main Ableton Live for the last 5 years after using Logic versions for over a decade before that, but was SO CLOSE to coming back to logic, THEN I had this bug happening within an hour of trying out the update. bit of a shame, will be watching cautiously what apple does here.

May 19, 2020 11:55 AM in response to seantyas

Hey guys, same bug here! It doesn't matter how old the project are. I tried everything and I think its a problem with MIDI-regions. Suddenly the playhead stuck and when I press spacebar OR click play with the mouse, the playhead suddenly stop and I hear 0,5 milliseconds sound from the project. Annoying! I have to restart the app but this doesn't make sense in a working process.

Only solution for me - overwrite logic 10.5 with a older version from time machine - no issues. Hopefully apple will take care of this!!! :(

May 19, 2020 12:22 PM in response to Atomicflash

I'm having the same issue here. How incredibly frustrating!!! Using latest version of Catalina on a Mac Pro (Late 2013). Seems to trigger whenever I open a region to edit. Recording plays as normal but playback is frozen and will only jump in small increments backwards. Apple - please fix this immediately -- its been a week since the origin al post and no bug fix? This is a serious issue rendering 10.5 useless for the time being.

Play/playhead issue with Logic Pro X 10.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.