Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

outlook setup error 0x800706ba

Trying to add my icloud contacts and calendar to outlook and when doing so the error code 0x800706ba comes up as a unexpected error. I have done this successfully on several computers with no issue. Have tried uninstalling both icloud and Microsoft 365 and uploading and same error occurs?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 12, 2020 6:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 12:39 PM

This happened for me because outlook only had IMAP accounts, and the contacts/calendars/tasks were the "Contacts (This PC only)" style of folders.

Apple needs to fix their wizard to use those folders as the source of outlook data to load into it's merge and sync logic. Or even better instead of assuming which contacts/calendars/tasks folder and strewing things up have an advanced button that will prompt user to select what folder(s) to use from outlook.

To work around is problem:

Create new empty .pst file

Set it as default data file (File | Account Settings | Data Files Tab | Set as default on new local .pst file)

Close and reopen outlook to make sure it's default data file/moves everything

Re-run iCloud Control panel outlook setup wizard.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2020 12:39 PM in response to houston611

This happened for me because outlook only had IMAP accounts, and the contacts/calendars/tasks were the "Contacts (This PC only)" style of folders.

Apple needs to fix their wizard to use those folders as the source of outlook data to load into it's merge and sync logic. Or even better instead of assuming which contacts/calendars/tasks folder and strewing things up have an advanced button that will prompt user to select what folder(s) to use from outlook.

To work around is problem:

Create new empty .pst file

Set it as default data file (File | Account Settings | Data Files Tab | Set as default on new local .pst file)

Close and reopen outlook to make sure it's default data file/moves everything

Re-run iCloud Control panel outlook setup wizard.

May 13, 2020 12:05 PM in response to houston611

Hello houston611.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that you’re trying to add iCloud Contacts and iCloud calendar events to Outlook. You keep getting an unexpected error although you’ve done this successfully in the past. I’m happy to help.

Please try the steps in the section “Calendar, Contacts, and Reminders” here: Get help using Outlook with iCloud for Windows - Apple Support

Do you have any security software installed, such as antivirus software? Do you have any pending software updates for your computer or iCloud for Windows? If so, please install the updates and restart your computer.

Let me know the results.

Take care.

May 14, 2020 2:03 PM in response to houston611

I am having the same problem. Yesterday, I spent over an hour with Microsoft support. We uninstalled Office and iCloud for Windows and then reinstalled them. It works great now except I seem to have iCloud for Windows version 10 rather than the latest version 11.2. It works great for contacts and calendar but not iCloud Photo. Just talked with Apple support. For the first time in some 15 yrs, I got the run around with answers like Microsoft and Apple are working hard and that the latest version of iCloud for windows may have some compatibility issues. He couldn't tell me how to determine which version of iCloud I had on my computer. II asked to talk with a tech that specializes in iCloud and he said they don't have any. Bottom line, don't use the version 11. Uninstall it and reinstall an older version.

Jun 10, 2020 8:47 AM in response to houston611

I have used Outlook 2010 synced to my icloud calendar and contacts for several years. First icloud disappeared from my pc and when I reinstalled, it would not load the contacts or calendar to Outlook. I run the setup and at the very end get the unexpected error 0x800706ba. I have tried to uninstall icloud and reinstall, but the same error occurs.

Jul 8, 2020 10:43 AM in response to BK_U-Beratung

This is what I do for a living, and that is a big question with lots of answers depending on your situation because outlook and icloud integration is a big pain, and people have multiple accounts, and contacts split between accounts, don't even know where their data is etc. To do it right and make sure you don't loose data it's at least 30mins of work (probably more like 60-90mins) looking at your situation/devices, and making different backups in case iCloud screws you up. It's not something I can give a generic answer for. I offered the above to try and help others understand and give a simplistic workaround for a single simple use-case WHY you were getting a 0x800706ba error and Apple was no help, and none of the search results actually told you the real problem.

If you need personal help you can chat/send me a message on my site (bottom right) is about all I can offer to help ( davidthegeek (dot) com and go to the knowledge base for chat/ticketing). This is a paid service.

There's several articles in my knowledge base talking about ios and what you need to know that is free to try and help you understand ios better if you want to try and tackle it yourself - be warned it's complicated when you're not all-apple services and devices.

Jul 8, 2020 10:51 AM in response to silversword411

I just tried silversword411 suggestion and it worked for me, so far so good. What's weird on my other 3 Microsoft based computers I don't have this issue, they all have the same subscription of Office 365 which I downloaded i Cloud with no issues. Only on my laptop did it have this issue, initially it worked fine then my calendar was gone and only left my contacts then when I uninstalled and tried to reinstall it created issues until now where I tried creating a new empty .pst file

I greatly appreciate the advice!

Jul 9, 2020 4:09 AM in response to silversword411

The workaround of silversword411 of June 23 is also effective when having the setup error 0x800706ba with Windows 10 edition 2004 and Outlook 2019. Thanks for that!

In addition: after succesfull running iCloud Control panel outlook setup wizzard and reopening Outlook, you can reset to your original default IMAP e-mail account. Then restart (even better first reboot) and you can delete all references to the temporary empty.pst file. Close Outlook, reboot, reopen Outlook, and everything is working as it should be.

Jul 10, 2020 10:38 AM in response to MadatMicrosoftandApple

The problem is that the configuration between iCloud for Windows and Outlook does not work when your emailaccount(s) is (are all) using IMAP. An IMAP emailaccount results in .ost files on your harddisk.

The solution is that you create a POP3 emailaccount in Outlook 2019, which automaticly generates a .pst file.

It seems that you have a Gmail account using IMAP. In your case: set up a POP3-emailaccount in Outlook 2019 using your existing Gmailaddress and password and give it a different name for reference. This emailaccount can be used as the "new empty .pst file" as referred to by silversword411.

Note: forget about the fact that you now have two accounts in Outlook 2019 using your Gmailaddress. When you followed all steps your default emailaccount is again the one as it was before the workaround. If so, you can delete the POP3-version.

Oct 29, 2020 12:23 PM in response to tidalwave1996

Travis, Died33 provided a link with instructions on how to do that.

My post was my pro-bono IT work giving back to the community. I figured out the problem when I was fixing it for one of my clients, and didn't see a posted reasons/explanations in any google searches that actually told you what the cryptic 0x800706ba error was about in relation to setting up iCloud Control panel and outlook.

Helping people one-on-one is how I pay the my mortgage. If you need assistance with implementing this, or any other IT help open a support ticket and I'll contact you directly with my paid support options :)

https://www.davidthegeek.com/portal/en/newticket

outlook setup error 0x800706ba

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.