Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Library

I've "lost" my photos, I may have inadvertently deleted my photo library/changed the system library, while try to fix etc and tried back up from Time Machine - no success - but i'm sure they're on the lap top as I managed to copy the 'library file' from the Time Machine to desktop (37+ gb) but i can't open it?

Can any one help, please

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 13, 2020 12:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2020 5:08 AM

Which library file did you copy from the Time Machine backup?

It needs to be an item with the filename extension ".photoslibrary" and the icon with a fan of three pictures with the rainbow flower. And you cannot simply copy the photos library from Time Machine, you need to run Time Machine and restore the library. To restore with Time Machine:

• Quit Photos if it is running
  • Open the Pictures folder in the Finder.
  • With your Pictures folder as the front most Finder window launch Time Machine.
  • In the time tunnel in Time Machine go back to the date with the Photos Library you want to restore by clicking into the Time Line at the right border of the window.
  • Select the Photos Library and click the "Restore" button.

Once the library has been restored, select it in the Finder and double-click it to open it in Photos.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2020 5:08 AM in response to alasdairjh

Which library file did you copy from the Time Machine backup?

It needs to be an item with the filename extension ".photoslibrary" and the icon with a fan of three pictures with the rainbow flower. And you cannot simply copy the photos library from Time Machine, you need to run Time Machine and restore the library. To restore with Time Machine:

• Quit Photos if it is running
  • Open the Pictures folder in the Finder.
  • With your Pictures folder as the front most Finder window launch Time Machine.
  • In the time tunnel in Time Machine go back to the date with the Photos Library you want to restore by clicking into the Time Line at the right border of the window.
  • Select the Photos Library and click the "Restore" button.

Once the library has been restored, select it in the Finder and double-click it to open it in Photos.

Photo Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.