Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos in External Hard drive missing between computers

I ran out of space on my computer (and iCloud) for all my photos so I bought an external hard drive and moved the photo library to that drive. (Now I can only open the photos app if the hard drive is connected). However, a new problem has shown up now that I have a newer computer that runs on a different operating system. It went like this:

1. Seeing photos from old 2013 computer on new 2020 computer via external hard drive transfer: it worked fine, though I did get a pop up where it said they had to change the library thanks to the updated system on my 2020 computer, which was fine.
  2. Moving back to the old computer to load more photos onto the external hard drive: Where things got weird. I had to load the photos onto the old computer first because new Macs don't have an SD card slot (yippee USB-c!), and when I opened Photos on the old computer, it was unhappy because Photos was too advanced for the old thing, and it created a new photo library (Library 2). This was fine, except now I can't find Library 2. Anywhere. This is unfortunate, as I like to delete photos from my SD card once I load them onto a computer to save space (which maybe this will teach me a lesson about that), so now I'm missing a whole photoshoot and a fair amount of more "documentary" photos of my family that I'd really like to have back. Any help as to where in the world a second library would be hiding on the hard drive would be very nice. Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 2:31 PM

Probably in the pictures folder.

But go to spotlight, and to a search for "photoslibrary" (without the quotes all librares are named somthing.photoslibrary) Search "this mac"

you might also want to search the external drive in case it put it there.

For the future, a better approach might be to copy the image files to a folder on your old mac using the image capture app. Then copy that folder of files to your new mac and import them into photos on your new mac.

And never delete the originals until you've confirmed they are safe where you expect them to be.

And then have a proper backup of your photos library. 🙂

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2020 2:31 PM in response to anais165

Probably in the pictures folder.

But go to spotlight, and to a search for "photoslibrary" (without the quotes all librares are named somthing.photoslibrary) Search "this mac"

you might also want to search the external drive in case it put it there.

For the future, a better approach might be to copy the image files to a folder on your old mac using the image capture app. Then copy that folder of files to your new mac and import them into photos on your new mac.

And never delete the originals until you've confirmed they are safe where you expect them to be.

And then have a proper backup of your photos library. 🙂

Photos in External Hard drive missing between computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.