Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 5.1 kernel panic

Hi everyone!

I have a problem on a 2010 old 5.1 Mac Pro, I have some kernel panics I can't relate to any specific action I do on my computer.

I'm running Sierra.

If someone could help me understanding what's going on and if there's something I can do, I will really appreciate it.

Kernel report follows. Thank you!

Mac Pro, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 13, 2020 4:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2020 7:00 AM

That is a "textbook" uncorrectable RAM memory error.

Kernel panic, Machine check, detected by multiple processors, status 4 or 5.

User Tip: Mac Pro and Error Correcting Co… - Apple Community

4 replies

May 17, 2020 12:18 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank's for your reply.

I read the topic you linked me, but it's not clear to me if it's a problem I can solve changing the RAM or not.

The page on my "System Report" is always saying OK on every module, even if I often refresh the page, the computer crashes before any status changes.

I tried to remove one module at the time to check if the problem would disappear, but my Mac is not starting up if all the 4 modules I have are not mounted.

It doesn' start up with only one module, or two or three, until all 4 modules are mounted, the fans are on, but the computer is not even loading the OS!

Is that normal? What am I missing?

Thank you a lot for your help and your time

May 17, 2020 12:59 PM in response to AleQua

your Mac should be able to start and run (a little slowly) with any one of the four 4GB modules you have. The preferred location is in slot 1. It is designed to run faster with more modules, by they are not required.

It should also run with any two, or any three. or with four.

If it does not, you may have another problem as well. Did you seat the modules completely? it can take quite a bit of force, but you should see the removers snap to the upright position when they are seated.

If there is no chime, observe the power-on indicator light. if there is an early problem, it sometimes flashes a small integer as a "help-me" message. Count the number of flashes and report back.

Mac Pro 5.1 kernel panic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.