Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro 10.5 crashing plug-ins

After upgrading to Logic 10.5, some of the plugins used in my sessions crash Logic Pro immediately when I try to open them. So far it's crashed some of my Waves and iZotope (specifically CLA Mixdown and Vocal Doubler) plug-ins, and I'm sure I will discover more as I continue working. Most inconvenient as I use those plug-ins on the entire album I'm working on. As far as I can tell, the currently installed plug-ins are doing their jobs, but I can neither open and adjust them, nor install them on new tracks.

I've tried reinstalling the plug-ins (followed by system reboots), creating a new session and removing and replacing the plug-ins on individual tracks, but the Logic still crashes each and every time.

Any recommended steps to fixing this? Obviously I could use alternate plug-ins or attempt to roll-back to Logic 10.4.5, but I'd rather use the current version and get use out of the plug-ins I've invested in.

Thanks!

(using LP 10.5 on a 2017 iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core)

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 13, 2020 9:20 AM

Similar questions

37 replies

Jun 8, 2020 3:20 AM in response to wage1968

Nobody from Apple saying anything?

1. Logic is now unusable. To be able to open some projects with plugins that crash I have to open a new project, open the plugin in there and open the saved project with the crashing plugin... Every time, for all the plugins. It is happening so far with Denise Perfect Room, Amplitube and some others. It takes 10 minutes before I can open a project...
  2. Plugins from niche boutique firms that can not keep up with the requirements are being excluded... but I paid my good money for them. The system is not even willing to open them. It gives you no option. Included, many free components as the Mercuriall pedals for example and many others.

I have not seen anything like that ever. I am really angry with Apple. I chose you for the ease of making music not to be stranded with an arrogant thinking attitude that all the world should follow you. Not even Native Instruments or Izotope have been able to follow you. Incredible.

I am wondering what professional studios are doing.... It must be crazy. If I were in this position I would sue Apple.

May 29, 2020 11:49 AM in response to wage1968

Same here!

Interesting that it's just a few plugins in particular, and only if I attempt to open the plugin window. Not that I've tested each of my plug-ins to make a comprehensive list of which ones cause a crash, but the one that stands out to me is the J37 tape emulator from Waves. If I don't open the plugin window, it seems to work just fine as far as processing audio goes, but as soon as I try to open the plug-in window (or add a new instance of it, which prompts the plugin window to open), then boom - immediate crash.

When this issue first came up for me, the same thing happened with the Scheps Omni-Channel (also from Waves), though, interestingly enough, I just tried that one again and it didn't cause a crash. The J37 is exhibiting the same issue regardless of what session it's placed in.

I know this isn't much of an "answer" to solve the issue, but I thought I'd add my experience to the topic so that anyone else who stumbles across it knows it's not just their system!!

(That's always the tricky part in this vast landscape of software: did I do/set something up wrong or is it actually a bug? In broad scope, it's more troubleshooting to keep track of lately than I'd like to deal with...but there's more of a personal rant haha).

Jun 1, 2020 3:39 AM in response to thedawmaster

As previously mentioned, the crashes have to do with a new GUI requirement- most developers have provided updated fixes and others not yet, while some are unaffected. With regard to Waves, I was on V9 when I updated logic to 10.5 & had the corruption (blank black plugin windows), then updated Waves to V11 and they all work perfectly. Native Instruments on the other hand has a list of plugs with problems that they’re still working on.

R

Jun 1, 2020 3:45 AM in response to tryinmybest

It was in a different thread, but Logic did not upgrade any GUI requirements or OpenGL requirements. What changed is that Logic now is build against macOS 10.15 (Catalina) to use some of the new features and that – as a side effect – all Audio Units have to be compatible with macOS 10.15 as well, instead of just being compatible with macOS 10.13 (as was the requirement with Logic Pro 10.4). So, this change showed a bunch of incompatibilities with Audio Units towards macOS 10.14 and macOS 10.15. The same would happen if any other DAW switches to a recent version of the developer tools, Logic was just the first one.

That also means: if you have an Audio Unit, which does not work correctly, you need to contact the developer for an update.

Jun 1, 2020 9:37 AM in response to wage1968

Having the same issue as everyone else here. Certain WAVES plugins cause sessions to crash. Currently the SSL Channel Strip Plugin and the Scheps OminChannel. I can open the GUI but once I try to close it, the sessions crashes. This is AFTER I spent $250 to upgrade all my WAVES plugins to V11; what their service/support said were fully compatible to Catalina. It's beyond frustrating that I can't mix anything at the moment.

My only workaround is to HIDE the AU's and then unhide them when I want to work with one. Absolutely unacceptable and really souring me on this latest update.

Jun 8, 2020 4:08 AM in response to Zettemusik

Apple simply does not and also can not guarantee compatibility of 3rd party code and specifically Audio Units with their hardware or software. How should they? You even mentioned "niche boutique firms" – there are probably 10000 Audio Units in existence, that is impossible to test for anyone.

If an Audio Unit is no longer working, your first contact should be the manufacturer of that Audio Unit. Many of these now crashing Audio Units are actually crashing, because of bugs in them, which only showed up because Logic was updated. They did not get broken by Logic; they always were, but now it shows – sometimes dramatically. The Logic application can't fix these bugs. Of course it is the easiest to blame Apple for all that, so let's do that.

Professionals update one machine only and test their specific setup before committing to new versions of hardware or software on all their machines. Often they are keeping old machines around for specific use cases. I remember used Atari ST computers being bought via eBay to have backup machines for a certain setup from the early 1990s.

BTW: Always have backups, so you can go back if something fails.

Jun 8, 2020 5:30 AM in response to Iaamusic

I am not a professional but I rely on my system to be reliable, especially from a firm that is so highly regarded and puts a premium price to its products. Such a company should take care of not making changes that render useful things useless. I wonder if dozens of plugin developers including Native Instruments, IK Multimedia, Denise, McDSP, etc. had such wrecked plugins. They used to work seamlessly... By the way, yes I have complained to Apple already through Twitter. Just frustrated there is no workaround other than go back to the past.

Jun 8, 2020 8:20 AM in response to Zettemusik

I know it’s frustrating, I’m testing 10.5 at mo. It’s not uncommon for major releases to be still fragile and have interoperability issues. It’s happened before It will happen again. But next time give yourself a way back and don’t be reliant on Apple (or plugin developers) to fix quickly. They fix at their speed not ours! In fairness all these fixes will come through I see 10.5 as a major commitment to logic which has got to be good for us using it for a living.

Jun 8, 2020 11:59 AM in response to wage1968

For anyone who's looking for a (hopefully) temporary fix that doesn't require reverting to a backup, you could go to your display preferences, and check "open plugins in controls view" under the "mixer" tab. This at least makes it feasible to open and adjust plugins that are already in use. It's what I've been doing to keep old Waves plug-ins from crashing Logic. It doesn't necessarily making loading a new instance of those plugins very appealing (controls view is not sexy), but it does make opening sessions that already have instances of those plugins much easier to work with.

Logic Pro 10.5 crashing plug-ins

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.