Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Catalina 10.15.4 fails to install

I'm running Catalina 10.15.3 on an iMac. I've tried updating to v10.15.4, but each time I do, the update fails to install. I click to install, the iMac restarts, but the restart progress bar goes about 1/8" to the right and then stops, and remains stopped for, literally, hours -- like, overnight. The only way I can regain use of the computer is to manually turn it off, then manually turn it back on again, only to find that I'm still running v10.15.3. How can I fix this?

iMac 21.5", 10.15

Posted on May 13, 2020 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2020 12:21 PM

If you're going thru the System/Software Update preference pane do the following instead: download and apply the macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Combo Update.  I've found it to be more reliable than going thru the preference pane. If you have trouble installing boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and install from there.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2020 12:21 PM in response to MichaelDesR

If you're going thru the System/Software Update preference pane do the following instead: download and apply the macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Combo Update.  I've found it to be more reliable than going thru the preference pane. If you have trouble installing boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and install from there.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

May 14, 2020 5:04 PM in response to MichaelDesR

Doing safe boot about once a month or so is sufficient unless you're having problems. That's one of the first "fixes" to try if you do have problem.. However, I prefer to shutdown every night as that also clears temp system, swap and cache files. It does't do the repairing like a safe boot does. Don't keep it on for more than a week without rebooting.

macOS Catalina 10.15.4 fails to install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.