Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini 2012 not able to install the Catalina 10.15.7 2021-002 update.

Mac Mini 2012. I've not been able to install the Catalina 10.15.7 2021-002 update. The update message says a reboot is required, and though I've rebooted many times, it still says a reboot is required. Anyone else having this issue? I have previously installed the 10.15.7 update, so this is a 2021-002 issue.

Posted on Apr 30, 2021 3:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2021 12:48 PM

The built-in macOS security is all that you need.

https://www.apple.com/macos/security/

Third party AV-ware, Cleaning-ware and Apps that promises to Speed-up your Mac, will do nothing but bog it down and make macOS unstable.

Please run EtreCheck and post back here with the Report.

https://etrecheck.com

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 30, 2021 5:07 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks for the suggestions. Safe mode option did not work (rebooted in Safe Mode, confirmed by Option, Apple Menu, System Information, Software section showed safe mode, rebooted, confirmed in normal mode, tried to install 2021-002 via system preferences, software updates, and still in reboot message loop.) Was not able to download the update using the link - got a 'this connection is not private' message, and even Show Detail, View Certificate, Visit This Website, Are you sure, Visit Website did not result in any download.

I'm open to other suggestions.

May 2, 2021 12:04 PM in response to den.thed

Downloaded the update. Disabled real time file protection in AVG AntiVirus. Started the update install, went through all of the steps until I was told to restart the computer to start the installation. Mac Mini restarted, but it did not appear to be installing the update - it was like a normal power-on startup. When fully started, it showed the update did not install. Confirmed AVG real time file protect was still off.

I have a month old Carbon Copy Cloner backup that I've been considering using for a restore, but am not sure if that would fix the problem as it might be something else. Mac Mini late 2012 just too old?

May 2, 2021 3:31 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks Den.Thed for your assistance! Problem resolved (ie 2021-002 update installed)

For the gory details...it appears I had an issue with my "-Data" volume. Running First Aid on it revealed a "fsroot tree is invalid" issue, which to correct, I erased both my boot volume and -Data volume, then using my CCCloner backup, restored my system. The restored system did not show the "fsroot tree is invalid" issue, and the 2021-002 update installed without any issues. I did notice TWO "-Data" volumes, and this is likely due to my erasing and leaving the previous "-Data" volume before my CCCloner restore. I simply deleted the 'empty' one and things seem to be working fine.

As I'm stuck with Catalina, I don't believe it has the type of security that Big Sur has, so may need to leave AVG installed.

I was not aware of the EtreCheck app and will run it to see what remaining issues I might find.

Thanks again for your help! Issue resolved!

Mac Mini 2012 not able to install the Catalina 10.15.7 2021-002 update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.