Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restricting Explicit Content on Apple Music on child's device

When I set up an iPad for my child's use, I restricted explicit content via settings>content & privacy restrictions > content restrictions directly on the device. Music is set to Clea, Movies is set to G, Books is set to Clean.

I also have Apple Music with my child set up as a family member and able to access the account. The iTunes (purchasing of music) side seems to restrict it just fine, but the Apple Music side does not. One problem is that "Browse," and "Radio" seem to show a variety of content, both explicit and non-explicit. The other problem is that "search" shows several trending terms, and my kid being curious as all kids are, tapped on "freak doja cat." Then she managed to pull up the music video for "Cyber Sex (Official Video)"

Needless to say, this is deeply troubling and upsetting that my kid was able to watch a part of this video before I managed to take it away. Are there any other solutions to restricting this type of junk from being accessible on the device short of limiting Apple Music altogether?

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi, Cellular

Posted on May 13, 2020 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2020 6:51 PM

I set all of these parameters, but the problem seems to be with Apple Music - it doesn't seem to care about those settings at all and pulls up explicit songs through searches and catalog browsing regardless. Downloaded/purchased songs are properly restricted and won't play.

My curious 5 year old is able to access these so frequently I'm starting to reconsider keeping this Apple Music subscription.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2020 6:51 PM in response to javaliga

I set all of these parameters, but the problem seems to be with Apple Music - it doesn't seem to care about those settings at all and pulls up explicit songs through searches and catalog browsing regardless. Downloaded/purchased songs are properly restricted and won't play.

My curious 5 year old is able to access these so frequently I'm starting to reconsider keeping this Apple Music subscription.

Restricting Explicit Content on Apple Music on child's device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.