Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts groups on my MacBook have disappeared.

For some reason my groups in Contacts on my Macbook have disappeared, even though they are still listed in iCloud and on my phone. How do I sync groups from iCloud to my Mac? Thanks.

Posted on May 13, 2020 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2020 10:29 AM

Try going to System Preferences/iCloud (Apple ID for Catalina) and stop Contacts syncing by unchecking the box. Wait a couple of minutes, then check syncing. Allow time for the sync to complete.

Last resort  - have you tried signing out of iCloud and then sign back in?

See the Apple Support article below. 

Contacts, Calendars, or Reminders - Get help using iCloud.     

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2020 10:29 AM in response to mydogisnamedbo

Try going to System Preferences/iCloud (Apple ID for Catalina) and stop Contacts syncing by unchecking the box. Wait a couple of minutes, then check syncing. Allow time for the sync to complete.

Last resort  - have you tried signing out of iCloud and then sign back in?

See the Apple Support article below. 

Contacts, Calendars, or Reminders - Get help using iCloud.     

May 13, 2020 6:57 PM in response to mydogisnamedbo

You can create contact groups from Mac https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/contacts/adrb3280fe91/mac

The same will be mirrored in iCloud.com as in system preferences > icloud the contact box is checked , the Mac is signed in with Apple ID and password and synced with iCloud .

Also , if you create a contact group from iCloud.com https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/icloud/mmfba73c71/1.0/icloud/1.0

It will be mirrored in Mac contact application .

May 14, 2020 7:17 AM in response to tygb

Thanks for this. I perhaps am not being clear. I have been creating and using groups in Contacts for many years on my laptop. The groups always appeared in the sidebar on my laptop interface, and the groups seamless synced with iCloud and on my phone. Now the groups I use appear as they are supposed to in iCloud and on my phone, but no groups appear at all in Contacts on my laptop, which is my preferred interface. I'm not sure what happened, but it looks like I have to recreate them on my laptop...and am wondering if the same problem will happen again.

Contacts groups on my MacBook have disappeared.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.