You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I create a searchable document?

I'm trying to put all my gardening knowledge and research into one place and I'd like to bet able to search for certain topics, products, techniques, etc. within all the text. Is this possible and how do I achieve it?

Is there a way to designate certain terms, lets say product names (just as an example), that can be searched for; so that I can get that specific section quickly? Perhaps I can create some sort of index at the top of a document with hotlinks that can be clicked, that'll take you to that specific section within the document?

Another solution I thought about (but have NO idea how to implement) would be to create some sort of database of small, individual Pages documents - one document for each product, technique, etc.

I sure appreciate any help y'all can provide! 🙏

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 13, 2020 10:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 13, 2020 11:22 PM

Any Pages document is searchable using command-F.

command-F open the Find and Replace dialogue.

Enter the word you want to find in the find box, then click the forward arrow ( the > sign) to find the first occurrence of that word. Click the same character again to fo to the next occurrence of that word.

If the 'product names' you are searching for occur as 'article headers' AND in the bodes of one or more articles, you may want to add an identifier to the beginning of the article headers.

Example: Tomato (or tomatoes" is a word that could appear is several different articles in your document, including a main article titled "Tomatoes."

Enter tomato in the find box, and you'll be taken on a journey with stops at every appearance of the words 'tomato' and every appearance of the word 'tomatoeo' in the whole document.

Enter 'art tomato', and if you have put the word art and a space before the topic of the article, 'art tomato' or 'art tomatoes' will be the first hit.

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 13, 2020 11:22 PM in response to Horitexan

Any Pages document is searchable using command-F.

command-F open the Find and Replace dialogue.

Enter the word you want to find in the find box, then click the forward arrow ( the > sign) to find the first occurrence of that word. Click the same character again to fo to the next occurrence of that word.

If the 'product names' you are searching for occur as 'article headers' AND in the bodes of one or more articles, you may want to add an identifier to the beginning of the article headers.

Example: Tomato (or tomatoes" is a word that could appear is several different articles in your document, including a main article titled "Tomatoes."

Enter tomato in the find box, and you'll be taken on a journey with stops at every appearance of the words 'tomato' and every appearance of the word 'tomatoeo' in the whole document.

Enter 'art tomato', and if you have put the word art and a space before the topic of the article, 'art tomato' or 'art tomatoes' will be the first hit.

Regards,

Barry

Can I create a searchable document?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.