Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime on iMac - options for group calls

I'm trying to set up a group FaceTime videocall on an iMac but I can only connect with one person.

After I've connected with that person, there is no option to add anyone else. The only buttons which appear on the screen are

take a screenshot

end the call (red button)

mute the mike.

Can someone help me resolve this issue. Our lockdown virtual quizzes are at stake!

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 14, 2020 4:24 AM

4 replies

May 14, 2020 5:28 PM in response to Hallix

Hello Hallix,

I understand your urgency for needing Group FaceTime to work as expected. I'd like to offer some help.

Use FaceTime on your Mac

According to the 'Use Group FaceTime' section in the above article, Group FaceTime is available on macOS Mojave 10.14.3 (build 18D109) or later. You can check your macOS version in the upper-left  menu > About This Mac.

The current macOS release is macOS Catalina 10.15.4. Depending on your macOS version, you can find an upgrade link in the App Store or in the 'Software Update' section in the System Preferences app. Here's a helpful link to help you get upgraded:

How to upgrade to macOS Catalina

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers

May 16, 2020 9:10 AM in response to Hallix

Hey Hallix,

It seems you're having trouble getting updated from High Sierra to Catalina. Are you trying to install Catalina via the App Store? If that is giving you trouble, I would recommend using 'Internet Recovery' to update to Catalina. Before you attempt any next steps, I'd advise that you back up your data to avoid potential data loss. Additionally, Mojave and Catalina both require that your computer be of 2012 generation or newer. You can check your year model in  menu > About this Mac.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery

The important part for you to follow under Step 1 is the middle option. During startup, you hold Option+Command+R. This allows you to download the newest version of macOS available, instead of just reinstalling the system you're currently on.

After loading the macOS Utilities screen, you'll want to 'Reinstall macOS', which should guide you through installing macOS Catalina 10.15.4

If these steps don't help, I would recommend that you Contact Apple Support.

Best of luck!

Facetime on iMac - options for group calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.