Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update to Logic Pro X 10.5

I have for 3 days now been trying to update to 10.5. It starts just fine in the App Store, but never actually updates. Been this way for 3 days. At first I thought it was a storage space issue, but I have 22GB free space on my main drive and still no dice.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Any solutions?

I need help.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on May 14, 2020 11:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2020 9:12 AM

Thanks Jaro, but here's the deal:

AHA! It's that 10.13.6 and lower are not supported!

Well, that's it for Logic for me. I'm not leaving 10.13.6 anytime soon.

[Edited by Moderator]

29 replies

May 16, 2020 1:40 AM in response to Jaro876

1. Make sure you are running at least macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave or Catalina). HighSierra (10.13) is no longer supported.
  2. Launch the Mac App Store application
  3. Search for "Logic Pro"
  4. You should see Logic Pro X in the first row.
    1. It has a button next to it, which should read "Update", click it.
    2. If the button says "Open", then you already have the most recent version installed.
    3. If it shows an amount, then the App Store doesn't detect a purchased version of Logic Pro tied to the current account, and offers you to buy the application. This can happen, if you bought Logic Pro with a different Apple ID. You need to log into that account (via Store menu on the top of the screen) to install the update.
    4. If the button next to Logic Pro is disabled, you might have parental control active, which limits the App Store.

May 16, 2020 11:19 AM in response to Pancenter

Please take your tin foil hat off.

If Apple would have wanted to make more money of Logic customers, they would not have released Logic Pro 10.5 as a free upgrade. They could have simply named it Logic Pro 11 and charged another $199 for it – after 6 years of free upgrades completely reasonable. But they did not. And for many years also all macOS upgrades are free.

With the exception of potential a month overlap or so, the pro apps from Apple have never supported more than the past two macOS releases. Consumer apps and all iOS apps typically only support the most recent version of macOS/iOS.

There are only three reasons to not upgrade macOS that come to mind:

• a fear that a new version of macOS will make everything worse. In that case: do not upgrade to Logic Pro X 10.5, it was also significantly changed and probably even has some new bugs (as any complex software has)
  • a very old computer, depending on the model between 7 and 10 years old, which can no longer be upgraded. At that point it feels very reasonable to cut the support off. And yes, if you really want to run software from 2020 but only own a computer made before 2013 or even 2010, then Apple "forces" you to buy a new computer. Or you simply continue to run Logic Pro 10.4.8 on that old computer – it still works.
  • your choice to run older non-Apple software, which in the past couple of years have not been upgraded to support at least Mojave – potentially not even being 64-bit compatible, which has been possible for 10 years. That a vendor doesn't update their software, it not really nothing Apple can fix.

You are mentioning a computer which is not supported by Mojave because of the Metal graphics requirement. That is true for e.g. the Mac Pro before the late 2013 model. A machine which was supported with free upgrades for 7 years. And you can even buy a Metal capable GPU (BTW: and you wouldn't even give Apple money for that) and continue to use it for a bit longer with the recent version of macOS.

May 16, 2020 9:50 AM in response to waltermckeever

Apple is a hardware company, the relentless MacOS updates and the lack of Logic application support on High Sierra, an OS still supported by Apple (last version released less than two years ago, last update March 2020). Logic could be made to run on older machines which can no longer support lower level graphics development in Mojave/Catalina but that defeats the purpose of selling hardware.

May 16, 2020 2:31 PM in response to Blueberry

Knew that would bring you out of the woodwork, checking out us online beta-testers.

You misread my post completely!

Apple's software has always been about selling hardware, I have no complaints, pretty Happy with 10.4.4 as it's more stable than the later versions of 10.4. I have no doubt that Logic 10.4.5 could run on earlier versions of theOS, but it's a formula, that only the last two versions of MacOS are supported.

May 20, 2020 12:25 AM in response to Jaro876

In all the replies so far I haven't seen anything that provides me with a solution or a workaround. I know my machine might be old, but I'm running the last version of the OS and all I'm trying to do is update Logic to 10.5. I click the Update button in the App Store, it starts, goes all the way, but never updates. I just want to know why and how to fix it? Aren't there any Apple reps in these forums?

May 20, 2020 1:29 AM in response to Jaro876

You need to check what the Mac OS version is on your machine, when it is 10.13.6 or lower, you can't upgrade Logic to 10.5,

even though you see the Logic Update button, which should NOT show because it is a bug in Mac OS.

When you have an older machine it could be that it is up-to-date (within a specific version range like Mac OS 10.12 (Sierra), 10.13 (High Sierra) etc.) but it does not support later versions of Mac OS (i.e. 10.14, 10.15 and up).

I for example have an older iMac and it does not support a higher Mac OS version than 10.13.x - so it is up-to-date but only until the latest 10.13 version, which is 10.13.6 (so not the available higher Mac OS' 10.14.x or 10.15.x - since it is not compatible with that).

On the other hand I have a newer Macbook Pro which supports 10.14 and higher. On that computer I can upgrade Logic to 10.5.

This means you're either stuck with an older machine which does not support some higher Mac OS versions or your machine does support it and you need to upgrade to 10.14 or higher.

A very useful overview of Mac models and supported OS can be found here: https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

Hope this helps.

EDIT

@Jaro876: sorry missed your message before your last one.

When you have Mac OS 10.15.2 installed Logic should upgrade indeed I persume.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.