Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook screen goes black randomly!!!

My macbook screen goes black sometimes. When it happens while I am in a zoom meeting or watching videos, the background goes as usual. it is just my screen goes black. The only way to get it back to normal is to literally close the macbook. why is that?

MacBook

Posted on May 15, 2020 9:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2020 10:13 PM

1. Does it kill the sound too?
  2. Are you moving the cursor around when it happens? Maybe there is a "Hot Corner" enabled to lock the screen or shut it down or some such. See System Preferences / Desktop & Screen Saver / Screen Saver / "Hot Corners..." and check for any smoking guns there.
7 replies

May 16, 2020 3:08 AM in response to rasiqah

If you could attach an external display, to see if the signal there also goes 'black' too;

that would indicate what part(s) may be defective in the MacBook. ~ In some, when

display is closed and the signal to it appears lost, there are electronic parts in both

the upper case and in the display. These can be failing to indicate position of panel.

Troubleshooting may be more involved than the simplistic overview suggested. In

that the internal display/lid may need to be closed to view an external. That can be

useful if effects are noted, and the repair shop is aware of any odd happenings.

A visit to 'authorized Apple service' should be considered. Some offer "mail-in" service.

• Apple Repair and Repair Status Check - Official Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/repair

• Get Support - Apple

https://getsupport.apple.com/

Good luck & happy trails!🌻🌤

May 21, 2020 1:40 PM in response to rasiqah

Hi,

me and a friend of mine just had the same problem today.

I have a MBP 15" 2019, he has a MBP 16" just bought recently. The MBPs just go out as if they are out of power. The battery percentage is still around 20%. If you keep waking it up again and trying to work, it goes out again a few seconds later. I did this a few times, then when trying to wake up the battery icon appeared. When plugging power in, the battery is at around 20% again.

My macbook screen goes black randomly!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.