Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant download any app from the Apple app store

Issue:

System:

Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2010)

3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Startup Disc 1 TB NVMe M.e Boot Drive on PCI Bus

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7970 3 GB

I have a 2012 model of the same above system configuration that downloads apps with no issues

What I’ve tried so far

Changed the memory modules

Changed the CPU

Changed the GPU

Used both APFS and Mac os extended journaled on both Sata and PCI bus using an SSD

Clean install of the OS (x3)

Searched for help in several online communities

Oddly enough, I can download and install apps from other vendors with no issues.  For example OmniGraffle from the Omni Group.  I was able to purchase the latest version directly from the vendor and install it with no issues; however, the same program in the Apple app store just gives me the spinning wheel and never starts the download.  As I mentioned, my 2012 (5,1) Mac Pro is running the same OS (Mac OS Mojave) and hardware, and it presents no issues. 

There are no hacks, or work arounds on either of the machines, they are maintained strictly through Apple supported hardware, recommendations, and methods. Finally, though the App store update option states “all apps are up to date”, I was able to update my clean install of macOS Mojave by going through the “About this Mac” option under the Apple logo.

I’ve tried to provide as much information as possible, and I look forward to your response.

Best,

Gerald

Mac Pro

Posted on May 16, 2020 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2020 11:11 AM

Hi i_rina

Thanks for the reply and comments.  Soon after purchasing the MacPro's I installed metal supported GPUs and went straight to macOS Mojave, by passing OS High Sierra all together.  The thought had crossed my mind; however, since I had another  practically identical machine(2012 vs 2010) that wasn't exhibiting this behavior, I ruled this one out.  

To my great surprise, while troubleshooting a different problem, i.e., “computer not going to sleep”, I happen across a solution that killed to birds with one stone.  Turns out, resetting the NVRAM (Reset NVRAM) did the trick, and I couldn't be happier.  

Thanks again for your willingness to help out and I look forward to growing, learning and sharing with the community.

Best

Gerald

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2020 11:11 AM in response to i_rina

Hi i_rina

Thanks for the reply and comments.  Soon after purchasing the MacPro's I installed metal supported GPUs and went straight to macOS Mojave, by passing OS High Sierra all together.  The thought had crossed my mind; however, since I had another  practically identical machine(2012 vs 2010) that wasn't exhibiting this behavior, I ruled this one out.  

To my great surprise, while troubleshooting a different problem, i.e., “computer not going to sleep”, I happen across a solution that killed to birds with one stone.  Turns out, resetting the NVRAM (Reset NVRAM) did the trick, and I couldn't be happier.  

Thanks again for your willingness to help out and I look forward to growing, learning and sharing with the community.

Best

Gerald

May 17, 2020 11:01 AM in response to giscott

Hello there giscott,

Thanks for contacting Apple Support Communities. I understand you are currently unable to download any apps from the App Store on your Mid 2010 Mac Pro. Each time you attempt to download an app you see the spinning beach ball. You've also done quite a bit of hardware and software troubleshooting including an erase & install of the OS and changing RAM modules.

I'm wondering, did you have this issue in any previous versions of the OS on this machine? Perhaps you could install OS High Sierra (OS 10.13) and test.

If you are still having this issue you can reach out to App Store Support or Contact Apple Support

Cheers!

Cant download any app from the Apple app store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.