Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS email incorrectly associates name to email address

I use macOS email. There is someone I personally email, at either (for example) john@gmail.com or john@someplace.edu, who is also on a mailing_list@googlegroups.com. Every several months, when I start typing "john", I get the personal emails and a new recipient option of john_via_mailing_list, that happens to come first and be the default. So I have accidentally spammed the mailing list. I know how to ``remove address''. But why does this happen - I don't think I am doing anything to create it - and how can I stop the option from recreating itself in the future? It does not seem like any of the other recipients on the mailing list get associated with it.

MacBook

Posted on May 16, 2020 9:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2020 10:34 PM

r22g Said:

"macOS email incorrectly associates name to email address: [...]when I start typing "john", I get the personal emails and a new recipient option of john_via_mailing_list, that happens to come first and be the default. So I have accidentally spammed the mailing list.[...]"

-------

This is of Nothing of Spam:

You have not been spammed. When typing an eMail address, it is going to show you available characters of previously entered data. So, something with an underscore "_" would show up as the first item after you type a letter. Then the "@" comes up, only by the user entering it.

So, in this Case:

The "john_via_mailing_list" mailing list, would popup as the recommended item before the "john@someplace.edu" email address.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2020 10:34 PM in response to r22g

r22g Said:

"macOS email incorrectly associates name to email address: [...]when I start typing "john", I get the personal emails and a new recipient option of john_via_mailing_list, that happens to come first and be the default. So I have accidentally spammed the mailing list.[...]"

-------

This is of Nothing of Spam:

You have not been spammed. When typing an eMail address, it is going to show you available characters of previously entered data. So, something with an underscore "_" would show up as the first item after you type a letter. Then the "@" comes up, only by the user entering it.

So, in this Case:

The "john_via_mailing_list" mailing list, would popup as the recommended item before the "john@someplace.edu" email address.

May 17, 2020 11:18 AM in response to r22g

r22g Said:

I do remove it, just like those instructions say. The issue is that it is not permanent, and some months later it starts being suggested again.

———-

It’s Just Going to Add it:

That is normal. As you enter stuff it recognizes/remembers it. I am not aware of any ware to avoid this. There might be a Third-Party app, particularly one for “Accessibility (Disability)”.

macOS email incorrectly associates name to email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.