New email messages "from" email address changed and won't

For some reason lately when I create a new email message, the "From" address pops up with my husband's yahoo email address. How do I make my mac.com address stick with each new message I write and why did it change?

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 3:13 PM

If your iCloud account is not connected ( just an example ) , open mail application click on I cloud and send a mail from - iCloud address ( in the To - field type your gmail address ) the mail will be sent to your inbox in your apple mail application a pop up appears , in this screen shot it is showing could not connect to outgoing server , thats the reason when connection doctor is opened SMTP for iCloud is totally vanished .You can apply same with gmail say if IMAP or SMTP is not working . Simply click on always use this server to get joined .

And you will observe all IMAP / SMTP for gmail account and iCloud account are showing green dots and joined to their respective server .

Compose a mail ( use command and N keys ) , fill up the credentials select a different mail address and click on try with selected server , in fact in mail preferences send new messages is automatic , that's the reason see the article Change Composing preferences in Mail on Mac - Apple Support (IE)

Send new messages from .

The email address to use when you send messages.

If you use several email accounts, you can have Mail automatically select the best address, based on the email address of the first recipient in your message, as well as the currently selected mailbox and message.

You can click on drop down arrow and choose the desired mail address like example1@icloud.com

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2023 3:13 PM in response to GreenGator94

If your iCloud account is not connected ( just an example ) , open mail application click on I cloud and send a mail from - iCloud address ( in the To - field type your gmail address ) the mail will be sent to your inbox in your apple mail application a pop up appears , in this screen shot it is showing could not connect to outgoing server , thats the reason when connection doctor is opened SMTP for iCloud is totally vanished .You can apply same with gmail say if IMAP or SMTP is not working . Simply click on always use this server to get joined .

And you will observe all IMAP / SMTP for gmail account and iCloud account are showing green dots and joined to their respective server .

Compose a mail ( use command and N keys ) , fill up the credentials select a different mail address and click on try with selected server , in fact in mail preferences send new messages is automatic , that's the reason see the article Change Composing preferences in Mail on Mac - Apple Support (IE)

Send new messages from .

The email address to use when you send messages.

If you use several email accounts, you can have Mail automatically select the best address, based on the email address of the first recipient in your message, as well as the currently selected mailbox and message.

You can click on drop down arrow and choose the desired mail address like example1@icloud.com

Apr 16, 2023 1:53 PM in response to tygb

Just in case someone else has this same issue at some point...

I found the article "Change Composing preferences in Mail on Mac - Apple Support (IE) to be out of date. "Preferences" is no longer an option under "Mail." I went to >Mail >Settings >Composing >Addressing >send new messages from:

Somehow it must have changed to "Automatically select best account" - maybe with the last update. I changed it to what I want it to be and will cross my fingers that my problem is solved.

New email messages "from" email address changed and won't

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.