Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove down pointing marker in ruler ?

In a Pages (5.6.2) Document I have these down pointing grow in the Ruler at the top.

I have Invisible showing

I tried to drag them down, double click them, Ctrl or CMD click them..nothing ..they just muck up my formatting .

Been on this for over an hour now and no joy.

Can just do it a line at a time with a CR at the end of each line..but that is not 'Right"

I can create new tabs and drag them down to delete, just these down pointing ones wont behave

Tried various suggestions..from here:

https://support.apple.com/guide/pages/set-tab-stops-tan39ebf390a/mac

No go.

If i try dragging it, it only moves to the ring and takes the Left hand margins with it. First line goes to full width but subsequent liens get pulled in to the centre.

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 17, 2020 2:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2020 3:02 AM

The downward pointing triangle on the right is the right margin stop. Dragging it right, it will stop at the Page margin. Dragging it left will move the right margin of the selected paragraph(s) to the left.

The similar symbol on the left is made of two separate controls.

The triangle is the left margin stop, and functions much like the right margin stop. It sets the left margin for selected paragraphs, and cannot be moved beyond the document's left margin or beyond the position of the right margin stop.

Moving the left margin stop also moved the rectangle above that stop. The rectangle is the First Line left margin stop. It can be moved to the right of the left margin stop to produce an indented first line on all selected paragraphs, sit on top of the left margin stop to produce 'block' paragraphs with the first line's left end aligned with the rest of the lines in the paragraph, or to the left of the left margin stop to produce a 'hanging indent' where the first line starts to the left of the rest of the lines in that paragraph. Like the other margin stops, the First line left stop cannot be moved left beyond the page margin.

None of these markers can be removed from the ruler.

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2020 3:02 AM in response to Neil Paisnel

The downward pointing triangle on the right is the right margin stop. Dragging it right, it will stop at the Page margin. Dragging it left will move the right margin of the selected paragraph(s) to the left.

The similar symbol on the left is made of two separate controls.

The triangle is the left margin stop, and functions much like the right margin stop. It sets the left margin for selected paragraphs, and cannot be moved beyond the document's left margin or beyond the position of the right margin stop.

Moving the left margin stop also moved the rectangle above that stop. The rectangle is the First Line left margin stop. It can be moved to the right of the left margin stop to produce an indented first line on all selected paragraphs, sit on top of the left margin stop to produce 'block' paragraphs with the first line's left end aligned with the rest of the lines in the paragraph, or to the left of the left margin stop to produce a 'hanging indent' where the first line starts to the left of the rest of the lines in that paragraph. Like the other margin stops, the First line left stop cannot be moved left beyond the page margin.

None of these markers can be removed from the ruler.

Regards,

Barry

May 17, 2020 3:21 AM in response to Barry

Ah Ok got it

With your information I worked out what I needed to do,

Rather than trying to drag the left hand down arrow to the left..I had to drag the Rectangle at the left over to the left hand downward arrow..then drag the whole lot back to the left. just with the arrow

How come i can't seem to recombine them ..so parts of the document have them combine as a down arrow with rectangle above, and some parts have the arrow and the rectangle.

if they are combined, I can't seem to split them and if they are split I can't seem to join them again.

May 17, 2020 3:34 AM in response to Neil Paisnel

As you've discovered, the rectangle moves independently to set the First Line start a fixed distance left or right of the triangle. When the triangle is moved, the rectangle moves with it, preserving the same indent (or hanging indent) as before.

Easiest move to get them back together is to move the rectangle to slightly right of the triangle, then drag the triangle all the way left, then drag the rectangle all the way left. Both will be stopped at the left Page margin, and will be set to the same position.

Regards,

Barry

May 18, 2020 12:19 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you

Yes, the Age old problem of using any Apple Help or searching for any help any where. ..that of knowing the correct term to put in for the search to bring up a meaningful result. Knowing that Apple calls these items "paragraph markers' ..

I use Mac app s like pages and Numbers..so infrequently ..if I need to do somethign once every few months, that is it. And that is usually just editing old documents...

Remove down pointing marker in ruler ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.