MacBook Pages: How do I get rid of auto-numbering of my paragraphs

Help. I am creating within a blank document in Pages. I know how to write. I know what I want to type and how I want it to look. I am numbering three items. I have five paragraphs within one of the items. Pages keeps putting a new number in front of each paragraph and moving the position of the sub-paragraphs!

I found an answer online titled "Text Edit: How to stop the auto-numbering?" The answer said to try the pulldown menu in the toolbar (next to Spacing) and select "none." A reply said that this worked. However, I do not have anything on my screen titled Toolbar and nothing titled Spacing.

What should have taken me ten minutes to provide a cheatsheet to a friend is taking hours instead.

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 1:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 2:24 AM

Hello,

This section from the Pages User Guide describes the options you have for using and formatting Lists. I included the part about auto creating lists and hierarchal lists as they seem most relevant for you.

Also, as an FYI, Text Edit is a different app that comes with macOS. That's why you don't see the options from that answer.

Format lists in Pages on Mac - Apple Support

"If you don’t want Pages to automatically create lists, choose Pages > Settings (from the Pages menu at the top of your screen). Click Auto-Correction at the top of the settings window, then deselect the checkbox next to “Automatically detect lists.” The setting applies to all Pages documents."

"You can create a list style for any kind of hierarchical list, from a simple one that includes just two levels of hierarchy, to a complex one that uses many styles of numbers and letters to define multiple levels.

After you format a level of hierarchy, you update (redefine) the list style to incorporate that level. For example, if your list has five levels of hierarchy, you need to update your starting style five times to fully define the style. The process results in a single style that automatically formats a list with the same number of levels you defined. You can then use that style for other lists in your document.

1. Click where you want to start your list.
  2. In the Format  sidebar, click the Style button near the top.
  3. If the text is in a text box, table, or shape, first click the Text tab at the top of the sidebar, then click the Style button.
  4. Click the pop-up menu to the right of Bullets & Lists, then click  at the top of the List Styles pop-up menu.
  5. Type a name for the new style in the List Styles pop-up menu, then press Return.
  6. Type the first item in your list.
  7. Use the controls in the Bullets & Lists section to choose a number or bullet style for this hierarchy level.
  8. An asterisk appears next to the style name in the pop-up menu to indicate that you made a change to the style.
  9. Click the pop-up menu next to Bullets & Lists, then click the Update button.
  10. Clicking Update changes the format of any existing list items at the same level of hierarchy.
  11. Press Return to go to the next line, then press Tab to indent it.
  12. Use the Bullets & Lists controls again to set a number or bullet style, adjust spacing, and make any other format changes.
  13. Click the pop-up menu next to Bullets & Lists, then click the Update button.
  14. Continue formatting each level of hierarchy, clicking the Update button before moving to the next level.

Only formatting changes that you make in the Bullets & Lists section are included in the list style. Changes you make using the controls in the Font section (font, font color, and character styles) aren’t included.

If you have a list style you use frequently, you can create a keyboard shortcut to apply it."

I hope this helps.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2023 2:24 AM in response to ISuddenlyRemembered

Hello,

This section from the Pages User Guide describes the options you have for using and formatting Lists. I included the part about auto creating lists and hierarchal lists as they seem most relevant for you.

Also, as an FYI, Text Edit is a different app that comes with macOS. That's why you don't see the options from that answer.

Format lists in Pages on Mac - Apple Support

"If you don’t want Pages to automatically create lists, choose Pages > Settings (from the Pages menu at the top of your screen). Click Auto-Correction at the top of the settings window, then deselect the checkbox next to “Automatically detect lists.” The setting applies to all Pages documents."

"You can create a list style for any kind of hierarchical list, from a simple one that includes just two levels of hierarchy, to a complex one that uses many styles of numbers and letters to define multiple levels.

After you format a level of hierarchy, you update (redefine) the list style to incorporate that level. For example, if your list has five levels of hierarchy, you need to update your starting style five times to fully define the style. The process results in a single style that automatically formats a list with the same number of levels you defined. You can then use that style for other lists in your document.

1. Click where you want to start your list.
  2. In the Format  sidebar, click the Style button near the top.
  3. If the text is in a text box, table, or shape, first click the Text tab at the top of the sidebar, then click the Style button.
  4. Click the pop-up menu to the right of Bullets & Lists, then click  at the top of the List Styles pop-up menu.
  5. Type a name for the new style in the List Styles pop-up menu, then press Return.
  6. Type the first item in your list.
  7. Use the controls in the Bullets & Lists section to choose a number or bullet style for this hierarchy level.
  8. An asterisk appears next to the style name in the pop-up menu to indicate that you made a change to the style.
  9. Click the pop-up menu next to Bullets & Lists, then click the Update button.
  10. Clicking Update changes the format of any existing list items at the same level of hierarchy.
  11. Press Return to go to the next line, then press Tab to indent it.
  12. Use the Bullets & Lists controls again to set a number or bullet style, adjust spacing, and make any other format changes.
  13. Click the pop-up menu next to Bullets & Lists, then click the Update button.
  14. Continue formatting each level of hierarchy, clicking the Update button before moving to the next level.

Only formatting changes that you make in the Bullets & Lists section are included in the list style. Changes you make using the controls in the Font section (font, font color, and character styles) aren’t included.

If you have a list style you use frequently, you can create a keyboard shortcut to apply it."

I hope this helps.

MacBook Pages: How do I get rid of auto-numbering of my paragraphs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.