Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel panic

Hello all Apple Gurus,

I truly need your help. Im currently running MacPro 5,1 with High Sierra. It has 48gb RAM and very little applications. Im using it mostly for ThinkorSwim platform.

Recently I get Kernel Panic: CPU 4 caller on average once a week. Ive tried everything but still can't find a solution. Below you can view the Panic report. Please help guide me to a solution, I truly appreciate your assistance.

*** Panic Report ***

panic(cpu 4 caller 0xffffff801f0ba220): "a freed zone element has been modified in zone kalloc.128: expected 0xdeadbeefdeadbeef but found 0xffffff80ce25d2d0, bits changed 0x2152416f10886c3f, at offset 88 of 128 in element 0xffffff80ad1bc500, cookies 0x3f00118640fc72ce 0x53521bb307ea2a9"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-4570.71.73/osfmk/kern/zalloc.c:1122

Backtrace (CPU 4), Frame : Return Address

Mac Pro

Posted on May 17, 2020 12:55 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

May 17, 2020 1:12 PM in response to KitVincent

Are you making any money? The major error is "a freed zone element has been modified." If you do a Google search on the phrase, you will find many links about this problem. You have provided virtually no details that help. Even the panic log info you posted is almost entirely incomplete. So, here's a starting point for you to try and find the cause of the problem.

Dealing with Kernel Panics

Disconnect any third-party peripherals including any USB hubs. How to use safe mode on your Mac, Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support then boot the computer into Safe Mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support and Playing Safe- what does Safe mode do? See Diagnosing problems- crash, freeze, panic, or spinning beach ball?, Don’t Panic! Understanding & Troubleshooting Kernel Panics in macOSHow to fix kernel panics after installing OS X updates | MacIssues, and If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support.

Kernel panics are indicative of possible hardware failure, so you should Check your Mac with hardware diagnostics or AHT. Kernel panic logs are found in: /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ folder.

If you have no success figuring what is happening then you may need to examine the software you have running when the panics occur. Be sure it’s all current. If you must to resolve the problem erase the disk and reinstall macOS. Follow this outline to reset the computer to the factory-new state: Factory reset of your Mac - Apple Support.

Boot Into Safe Mode

1. If your Mac isn’t already shut down, then shut it down and wait at least 30 seconds before rebooting.
  2. Immediately, at or before the chime, press and hold down the SHIFT key. 
  3. Release the key after the Apple logo and progress bar appear.
  4. Safe mode startup is much slower than normal startup, so be patient.
  5. When the Login Screen appears enter your admin password. If you use automatic login, then this means you are in safe mode.

May 17, 2020 1:51 PM in response to KitVincent

OK, first is to uninstall the Symantec software: Symantec Uninstall Application. Second, dependencies note USB device drivers are involved in the panic log. You have a number of USB third-party peripherals attached. I suggest that you disconnect them while exploring the problem. One or more could be causing the panics. If you needed to install drivers for any of them, then be sure to uninstall them, as well.

May 17, 2020 3:18 PM in response to KitVincent

This must be "The Month of Norton" because I have seen more kernel panics caused by Norton Utilities this past month (maybe April too) then I normally see.

Norton Anti-Virus software leads the Anti-Virus pack in generating the most macOS kernel panics.

I looked at the kernel panic signature, and guess Norton immediately. When I got down to your panic listing, and saw Symantec I knew my guess was confirmed.

Kernel panic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.