Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows sometimes reopen on start-up even though the option is turned off

Hi,

Recently purchased with MacBook Pro from Apple directly, and I'm having an annoying issue.

Sometimes when I start up my computer, apps will re-open even though I've told the Mac not to open windows on start-up. I've triple checked that the option "reopen windows when logging back in" is turned OFF when shutting down or restarting. The windows don't always open when the computer starts up, and it isn't a huge issue. But it can be overwhelming to see all these windows just pop up when I start my computer.

I've searched the web for answers and haven't had any luck. Hoping that by posting here, I can get some answers.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 17, 2020 9:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2020 11:34 AM

Good afternoon Foxium,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are having an issue with windows opening when you start your computer, which is not the way you have it set up in System Preferences. Which applications are opening? Is Safari opening with multiple windows or tabs?

One thing I would check is the Login Items in your user account. Remove any applications that are in the list that you don't want to start when you turn on your computer.

Open items automatically when you log in on Mac - macOS User Guide

For the next few days, try quitting your open applications before you shut down your computer. Then, if the issue persists, take note of which applications are opening and see if there is a preference setting in that app that can be adjusted.

Please reply to this thread if the issue persists after trying the steps above, and I'll do my best to help you with this!

Take care.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2020 11:34 AM in response to Foxium

Good afternoon Foxium,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are having an issue with windows opening when you start your computer, which is not the way you have it set up in System Preferences. Which applications are opening? Is Safari opening with multiple windows or tabs?

One thing I would check is the Login Items in your user account. Remove any applications that are in the list that you don't want to start when you turn on your computer.

Open items automatically when you log in on Mac - macOS User Guide

For the next few days, try quitting your open applications before you shut down your computer. Then, if the issue persists, take note of which applications are opening and see if there is a preference setting in that app that can be adjusted.

Please reply to this thread if the issue persists after trying the steps above, and I'll do my best to help you with this!

Take care.

May 18, 2020 6:14 PM in response to i_rina

Hi i_rena,

The windows that open can be anything I've used in my previous session. In this morning's case, Safari and Messages opened on their own at startup. Safari only opened one tab to the favourites page. The only program I have set up to open at startup is Mail.

I will quit the programs before shutting down for a few days and update you if anything happens.

Thank you for the fast response!

Windows sometimes reopen on start-up even though the option is turned off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.