Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are my files saving to?!?!?

My 2015 Macbook has been great. Unfortunately the last couple of updates have tweaked things so I'm sporadically hitting new 'features' that I don't like. I can work around those but I'm now on Catalina 10.15.4 and when I save something to my "Desktop" (which is what I've ALWAYS done) the docs aren't there when I go to look for them. I realize this is a stupid question but do I now have multiple desktops? When saving I will often see the "Desktop-iCloud" option and the "Desktop" option. I always choose the "Desktop" option....but now when I look for that item, it's not there.

Where the heck are my files going and how do I get them to save back to my 'regular' desktop like they used to? I' DO NOT want to have to search my computer every time I want to find something. Can someone advise me on how to reset my system so I only have one desktop....or whatever it is that I need to do to go back to my old system?

Thank you! :-)

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 18, 2020 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2020 12:47 AM

If you remember the name of a recently saved file, click on Spotlight in the menubar and type in the name of that file,

in the resulting screen you should see the file you are searching for, now click Command-R. This will open a Finder window

with the file highlighted, and its location. Click on View in the menubar and from the drop down menu select Show Path Bar. This will add the files location path to the bottom of the Finder window.

When you are saving files are you using the expanded save window. I don't know which apps you are using and saving in but the macs default is to show the smaller abridged save dialogue, see the screenshots below. If you want to see the expanded view click on the downward pointing arrow at the right of the Where dialogue.

The expanded view will let you navigate through your folder structure to save your files to certain locations.

as you can see from the expanded view you can save directly to the Desktop by clicking on the Desktop icon

in the Sidebar or from your <Home> folder as illustrated.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2020 12:47 AM in response to lynettedonnelly

If you remember the name of a recently saved file, click on Spotlight in the menubar and type in the name of that file,

in the resulting screen you should see the file you are searching for, now click Command-R. This will open a Finder window

with the file highlighted, and its location. Click on View in the menubar and from the drop down menu select Show Path Bar. This will add the files location path to the bottom of the Finder window.

When you are saving files are you using the expanded save window. I don't know which apps you are using and saving in but the macs default is to show the smaller abridged save dialogue, see the screenshots below. If you want to see the expanded view click on the downward pointing arrow at the right of the Where dialogue.

The expanded view will let you navigate through your folder structure to save your files to certain locations.

as you can see from the expanded view you can save directly to the Desktop by clicking on the Desktop icon

in the Sidebar or from your <Home> folder as illustrated.

Where are my files saving to?!?!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.