Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing files and apps

I am still using Catalina--yes, I know.

I have my iCloud settings so that everything on my Desktop is backed up. However, when I booted my laptop a few days ago, I saw that all of the files that were on my Desktop (and backed up to iCloud) are no longer on my Desktop. It's like looking at a brand new desktop. I'm also missing many of my apps in the Applications folder. They are now greyed out--basically everything I haven't downloaded is the last month or so, including one called "Install macOS Monterey". Is this because I'm still using Catalina and have refused to update my software? I can still use Google Chrome, but it's greyed out in my Applications foler, along with Excel, Word, QuickTime Player, Safari, Spotify, etc. I can also still access my Desktop but ONLY by going to the Desktop folder under iCloud Drive. My local Desktop folder is completely empty.

Other than clicking "Learn More" and apparently downloading--but not installing--Monterey, I have not made any changes to my settings.

How do I once again gain access to all my apps and all the files that were stored locally to my desktop (and backed up to iCloud)? And was it the Monterey download (and lack of installation) that broke my current setup? I don't want to install it unless I know it will fix my setup instead of breaking it further.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 7:29 PM

Actually, I figured out how to restore my Desktop files.

System Preferences > Apple ID > Options (next to the iCloud Drive checkbox) > recheck Desktop & Documents Folders.

Regarding the QuickTime issue, I was expecting some sort of pop-up to let me know the program was running instead of just the name of the application changing in the upper left version of the toolbar on my computer. Was hoping to screen record but was unaware there would be no obvious new window besides a new Finder window. Have to be looking at the upper toolbar and go from there. Oops.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2022 7:29 PM in response to _x_Ash_x_

Actually, I figured out how to restore my Desktop files.

System Preferences > Apple ID > Options (next to the iCloud Drive checkbox) > recheck Desktop & Documents Folders.

Regarding the QuickTime issue, I was expecting some sort of pop-up to let me know the program was running instead of just the name of the application changing in the upper left version of the toolbar on my computer. Was hoping to screen record but was unaware there would be no obvious new window besides a new Finder window. Have to be looking at the upper toolbar and go from there. Oops.

Apr 11, 2022 2:06 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

It used to be stored locally and also backed up. Now it's no longer local, and that changed overnight. I used to have recently used Desktop items downloaded to my desktop, and any items that I hadn't used for a while still had an icon but had a down arrow and a cloud next to the name so that I could re-download from icloud. Now my desktop is suddenly completely blank one day when I turned it on. Either way, I still cannot access some of my apps like Quicktime for some reason.

Missing files and apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.