Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

weird DNS address on iPad 11 pro

i was looking to change my DNS address, to see if things could get faster. when i went into settings, i saw this:

2600:1702:20e0:fb00::1

is that legit? it doesn't follow any server addresses i've seen. i set the iPad up, but dot remember ever doing this. delete it? i was going to replace with 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8

i'm on ATT uverse, maybe its from them?

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on May 18, 2020 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2020 2:25 PM

A previous reply, marked as the solution, is far from correct...

Nothing there is proprietary in the slightest.

What you see is actually a 128-bit IPv6 (i.e., Internet Protocol Version 6) address - IPv6 being the replacement addressing scheme for deprecated 32-bit IPv4 addressing. IPv4, with the exception of private networks, is now all but dead.

If you’re interested, here’s a primer on the subject:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

During the current period of transition, you’ll likely see both addressing schemes in use - with the old IPv4 addressing being in increasing minority usage. If you have the means to do so, if you take look at your local routing table, you’ll likely see significantly more IPv6 addresses than IPv4.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2020 2:25 PM in response to marc cardwell

A previous reply, marked as the solution, is far from correct...

Nothing there is proprietary in the slightest.

What you see is actually a 128-bit IPv6 (i.e., Internet Protocol Version 6) address - IPv6 being the replacement addressing scheme for deprecated 32-bit IPv4 addressing. IPv4, with the exception of private networks, is now all but dead.

If you’re interested, here’s a primer on the subject:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

During the current period of transition, you’ll likely see both addressing schemes in use - with the old IPv4 addressing being in increasing minority usage. If you have the means to do so, if you take look at your local routing table, you’ll likely see significantly more IPv6 addresses than IPv4.

May 18, 2020 4:00 PM in response to LotusPilot

Well then, I’m learning something new. Thank you. In the back of my brain, I remember reading the old IP addresses were going to run out, but I filed that away as someone else’s problem.

i’ll root around on my WiFi networks to see what can be found. That kind of makes me sad, the old 192 numbers going away, and the 169 numbers meant self assigned and you were getting no internet... I’m old.

May 18, 2020 4:34 PM in response to marc cardwell

The “192.16.x.x” Class-C address range is one of the “un-routable” IPv4 private subnets - whereas the “169.254.x.x” is the link local address range used when your device has neither a manually configured, or DHCP assigned, IPv4 address.

The IPv4 address space assignments are now exhausted. The Regional Internet Registries have now run-out of IPv4 address blocks to assign. The new iPv6 address scheme is so large that address exhaustion is not going to occur for a very long time!

May 18, 2020 5:26 PM in response to LotusPilot

I’ll rest easy tonight, knowing we won’t run out of IP addresses anytime soon.

my WiFi setup is a mix of ISP provided wireless in the cable modem box (basement), an old Apple base station wire connected (main floor), and an old airport express connected to a internet over power line device (two stories up from the basement). One day I’ll pay for the fancy eero mesh devices, until then, I’m rebooting my network monthly.

weird DNS address on iPad 11 pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.