Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail smart mailboxes disappeared

My smart mailboxes all disappeared. I have read the posts related to this and haven't found anything useful. Is there a solution that actually works?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 18, 2020 3:30 PM

7 replies

May 19, 2020 9:15 AM in response to gvsteve

Hello gvsteve,

It sounds as though the smart mailboxes within the Mail application are not appearing. You're in the right place to seek a solution, I'd be happy to assist!

Let's start with some basic steps to see if the smart mailboxes have become hidden, below is a resource that can help:

Use the sidebar or Favorites bar in Mail on Mac

When toggling the view options for the sidebar in the Mail app, do the smart mailboxes appear?

I hope this helps,

Cheers!

May 21, 2020 1:19 PM in response to gvsteve

gvsteve,

Thank you for replying back with the updated information around what steps you've taken to resolve the issue.

Rebuilding a mailbox can resolve issues related to Smart Mailboxes, below is a resource that can help:

Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac

Please note, when you rebuild mailboxes for IMAP or Exchange accounts, messages and attachments stored on your Mac are discarded, and then downloaded again from the mail server to your Mac. Your mailbox appears empty until the download is complete.

Before proceeding, you can create a backup which would be able to save the data and settings for the mail application. Here is a resource below that can help with backing up:

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Have a great day!

May 21, 2020 2:44 PM in response to gvsteve

gvsteve,

Thanks for the update!

If you previously used Time Machine to create a backup, you can restore your files from that backup or a local snapshot on your startup disk. Here is a resource for Time Machine below:

Restore your Mac from a backup

As you're looking to restore specific files, below is a resource that can help with that:

Use Time Machine to restore deleted files or older files

Cheers!

May 21, 2020 2:25 PM in response to sterling r

Thank you for your continuing response.

Rebuild mailboxes does not have any information I can find to address smart mailboxes that are missing,

Can missing smart mailboxes be retrieved from Time Machine? I haven't studied the Time Machine material enough to figure this out and I would like to know if it is even possible before I study it more.

May 21, 2020 4:04 PM in response to sterling r

From Mail, I opened Time Machine. It appears I can go into a folder and find backups for that. However, I could not select Smart Folder to look for an archive. In the pages in Time Machine that I looked at, there were no smart folders all the way back to early February. I know the Smart Folders were there in early May.

It appears to me that when Smart Folders disappear for an unknown reason they are gone and there is no way to recover them. That was the same conclusion reached by people who posted this same problem going back several years. I thought I would give it a try anyway.

Unless you have something new to suggest I am done with this. I will just recreate the folders from scratch. If they disappear again I will give up on Smart Folders.

Thank you for devoting the time to try to help

Mail smart mailboxes disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.