Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External display freezes dock?!

Hey guys,

i've been a windows user my whole life. my new job gave me the opportunity to work on the brand new 16" MCB. So i went for it.. and i've been terribly disappointed at the constant bugs i've ran into using macos.

My biggest complaint is: whenever i have an external display connected and i move my mouse to my second display and move my mouse to the bottom of the screen, which is meant to bring up the doc on the second display, the whole doc freezes for probably 2-4 minutes or so. When i try to move the dock back to the main display of the macbook, it freezes yet again for 2-4 minutes. It's so aggravating because even my active edges functions are all frozen. I have tried to use the terminal to execute "killall Dock" but that doesnt help either. Doesn't do a thing.

Does anyone have a clue how i could fix this? Yes i could leave the dock on the left hand side of the main display, but thats not really a solution is it?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on May 19, 2020 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2020 10:28 AM

i have actually found the solution for my issue. link here:https://youtu.be/4z5I1kBNA20

apparently it has something to do with having remote servers saved on your dock as shortcuts. for some reason that makes macos freak out.

is there some way that you could forward this bug to the appropriate department so this wont get forgotten?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2020 10:28 AM in response to ascendence333

i have actually found the solution for my issue. link here:https://youtu.be/4z5I1kBNA20

apparently it has something to do with having remote servers saved on your dock as shortcuts. for some reason that makes macos freak out.

is there some way that you could forward this bug to the appropriate department so this wont get forgotten?

May 19, 2020 4:26 PM in response to ascendence333

Hello ascendence333,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand your Mac is unresponsive, when you move the mouse to an external monitor.

I know how important it is to rely on using your Mac and I'd like for you to have a seamless experience. I'll be happy to help.

To help isolate this behavior further, I recommend to restart your Mac in safe mode. This helps perform a basic check of your startup disk, deletes some system caches and more. Here's a helpful article with additional details and the proper steps to take: How to use safe mode on your Mac

In addition, I also suggest using Activity Monitor to see if a particular app or activity is causing this behavior: How to use Activity Monitor on your Mac For example, you can use review the CPU pane to see if there's any abnormal process that is affecting the CPU activity.

Please keep us posted with the results.

Kind regards.

External display freezes dock?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.