Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my ipad draining battery too quick?

Hello! Hope things are good for ya.

I just wanted to know if my iPad air is draining battery too quickly. I have noticed a loss in usage time about 3-4 months ago and I use it for either surfing on social media or playing PUBG.

If i play PUBG for about like 4-5 hours, the battery goes to 10%. Otherwise, it works for about 6-7 hours if i use YouTube/Web. its really frustrating when i want to study or play and my iPad's battery doesn't exist.

I charge it overnight (usually plugging it at around 12 AM) and taking it off before i go to school/wake up (7-10 AM) Should i get its battery replaced? I cant really afford another iPad right now but im planning to buy the iPad Air 3rd generation.

Regards,

FingerFast

Device: iPad Air

Concern: Battery Life

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on May 20, 2020 3:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2020 3:54 AM

The battery in your original iPad Air is likely to have lost a significant proportion of its original capacity since is was bought. Assuming that you acquired the iPad “new”, when the model was still current, your original iPad Air is now nearly a seven year-old device - and if regularly used and charged, it’s battery capacity will now be much lower than when new.

iPad batteries are quoted as being expected to retain 80% of their original capacity after 1000 full charge cycles, a full cycle being any combination of charging that equates to 100% (e.g., 20-90% = 70% plus 50-100% = 50% plus 20%-100% = 80%, taken together this equates to 2 full charging cycles). Every cycle reduces the overall capacity just a little, but this reduction over time results in lower capacity.

As such, your states battery performance doesn’t, perhaps, appear too far south of what you might expect for a device of its age. By comparison, an iPhone is only rated to 80% of original battery capacity after 500 cycles (this, in Apple’s metrics, generally equates to 2 years of “normal” usage - with “normal” having a specific definition which I would need to look-up).

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2020 3:54 AM in response to FingerFast_69

The battery in your original iPad Air is likely to have lost a significant proportion of its original capacity since is was bought. Assuming that you acquired the iPad “new”, when the model was still current, your original iPad Air is now nearly a seven year-old device - and if regularly used and charged, it’s battery capacity will now be much lower than when new.

iPad batteries are quoted as being expected to retain 80% of their original capacity after 1000 full charge cycles, a full cycle being any combination of charging that equates to 100% (e.g., 20-90% = 70% plus 50-100% = 50% plus 20%-100% = 80%, taken together this equates to 2 full charging cycles). Every cycle reduces the overall capacity just a little, but this reduction over time results in lower capacity.

As such, your states battery performance doesn’t, perhaps, appear too far south of what you might expect for a device of its age. By comparison, an iPhone is only rated to 80% of original battery capacity after 500 cycles (this, in Apple’s metrics, generally equates to 2 years of “normal” usage - with “normal” having a specific definition which I would need to look-up).

May 20, 2020 9:56 AM in response to FingerFast_69

While I completely agree with LotusPilot’s assessment of the condition of your 2013 iPad Air's battery

You might be able to eek out longer battery life if your keep the screen brightness down more, as well as, quit any other possible background running apps ( especially apps that constantly need to go out to the Internet to refresh their data in the background ) in the iOS App Switcher OR simply go into the Settings app, and under General, Background app Refresh, either toggle OFF this setting for individual apps you think may not need to use background app data refresh OR toggle it OFF “Globally” for the entire iPad.

Also, to help with both iOS performance AND battery life,

I suggest tapping on my link below to my iDevice/iOS performance/optimisation/battery optimisation user tips link.

Slow iPad on iOS 9, 10 or 11! - Apple Community

Try all of these tips and leave each tip active together.

DO NOT simply try every tip individually, expecting just one tip to be a performance “cure all”.

Many of these tips are designed to work together to help improve overall iOS/iDevice performance.

Best of Luck to You!

Jun 7, 2020 6:49 PM in response to 1947CH

You need to purchase the Apple 12W power/charging adapter block.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD836LL/A/apple-12w-usb-power-adapter?fnode=27e08f6de03b16703cbca7c45de86ce97c3682ba9eccc00ed5c17cc434514160da4f36acf4ccf085fad7a3d00ec4babfb34cc8b912b7690006854a6b288e83f7f4f14f545eeebd35d6bd9bf85c14a60a9000e6f21b4c6313b450b55dcd11f9812d5f484ee3eb781478111653494a6010&fs=f%3Dcharger%26fh%3D4588%252B45d4

This stated, your iPad Air is much closer to 7-years old, now.

The internal, rechargeable Lithium-ion battery maybe failing.

I suggest contacting/reaching out to Apple Product support and services.

Tap on the first link below and scroll down some to get to the Apple Product Support section and phone numbers for your location/region.

https://www.apple.com/contact/

OR

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Best of Luck to You!

Is my ipad draining battery too quick?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.