Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

inherited mac book pro no passwords how do i get it to work

Have 2014 Mac book pro from mother in law who passed away. How do I erase and set up for own personal use. No data they needs to be kept. Do not know passwords .

Posted on May 20, 2020 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2020 12:46 PM

You don't need passwords to do a full erase. Shut down the MacBook Pro first. Then press the power button and immediately hold down the keys Command + R until a progress bar appears which will take you to the recovery screen. From there you can choose Disk Utility from the options list and fully erase the drive. Once erase you may return back to the options menu and choose Resintall MacOS. Whichever OS is on the server for that MacBook Pro will be reinstalled.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2020 12:46 PM in response to tjbfish

You don't need passwords to do a full erase. Shut down the MacBook Pro first. Then press the power button and immediately hold down the keys Command + R until a progress bar appears which will take you to the recovery screen. From there you can choose Disk Utility from the options list and fully erase the drive. Once erase you may return back to the options menu and choose Resintall MacOS. Whichever OS is on the server for that MacBook Pro will be reinstalled.

inherited mac book pro no passwords how do i get it to work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.