Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Upgrade from Yosemite on MacBook Air

I have a Macbook Air (mid 2011) that is running Yosemite.

I have tried to multiple times to upgrade to High Sierra, Sierra, and El Capitan.

(trying a lower OS X version upgrade each time, in case there was a compatibility issue)

I have tried to upgrade using the upgrade web link and also tried to upgrade by using the 'restore' function (option-command-R on start-up) to upgrade to the newest compatible OS X (which is High Sierra).

No matter how I try to perform the upgrade, the upgrade process crashes with about 40 min left. I can't make much of the log files.

There are many "can't find" messages- "can't find Board ID" "can't find chipset ID" and "\...\...\" directories don't exist messages.

I don't know if any of that means anything.

Has this happened to anybody else?

I could not find this exact issue anywhere on any forum

Any ideas?

I have not tried to completely wipe the disk and try a completely new install. That seems sort of drastic, particularly since I am having no issues with Yosemite (except software incompatibility- my reason for trying to upgrade)

Thanks.

MacBook Air

Posted on May 20, 2020 8:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2020 8:56 PM

Hello,

You may need to prepare a macOS installation disk and completely re-install macOS.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply

Cannot Upgrade from Yosemite on MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.